Beep from hell in my 2002 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Beep from hell in my 2002 Explorer.

shortstop

Reaction score
City, State
Bryan, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 LE
I've developed an annoying continuous beep and locking/unlocking of my doors in my 2002 Explorer. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what the heck is going on? Preciate it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard shortstop! :salute:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). When you think you're done looking, look again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Hope this helps out! :biggthump

this happens to me sometimes and i dont have broken wires, sometimes the back hatch doesnt close all the way to the rest of the liftgate and when i go over bumps the door ajar light comes on and the car locks and unlocks doors a couple times. could be a simple thing like mine of it could be the wires stated above.

Thanks a bunch - driving me nuts driving down the road! I'll try the WD40 tonight. Thanks for the detailed door panel instruction also.

welcome short

Shortstop, any update on this matter?

Welcome to the forums, do you think damaged wires could cause my unlock code on the doorpad for all doors to open the back glass and not the doors? I don't think you can change that option I think it is only for the actual unlock code.

Back