• Register Today It's free!

Belt drive

tmarat

Reaction score
City, State
Atyrau
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer 4.0
Sometimes I have a belt squealing. Usually happens in the morning, especially during cold starts. Also, sometimes squeals for short period when I turn on the AC. From time to time when turning the wheels fast from one side to other, I can feel "lumps" of resistance, like hydraulic booster going off for a second. This makes me think that either the belt is gone loose, or something wrong with the tensioner.
Came along a TSB for squeaky belts in the morning, according to which this is either due to incorrectly seating/torquing the generator bracket/idler pulley; or the generator bracket or a belt needs to be changed.
http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/images/docs/s197-tsb/09-07-07.pdf
I am not sure whether there is 2mm gap or not, but is it ok for the pulley to have those marks?

Below are some pictures:
x4gi7a.jpg

s5xvn4.jpg

x1156c.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the TSB the position looks OK, although the belt appears somewhat tired. Remove it first and check
ALL pulleys for binding. If none, run the engine less than one minute without the belt and listen for internal noises. GL

I haven't checked yet with belt off, I don't have the tools to take it off. But visually my belt tensioner is vibrating. I think maybe too much, judging by other videos on youtube it should not be vibrating.
http://youtu.be/i5R3kgoLqgE
What do you think?

Edit: Happy new year everyone!

A 3/8" ratchet in the square opening on the top of the tensioner and turn counter clockwise and you can remove the belt and check the tensioner to see if it is still good. If you are planning on replacing the belt, typically you replace the tensioner at the same time since Ford service intervals on the serpentine belts are so long.

Ditto, look at the small end of the tensioner and you'll see a 3/8" square.

Find a short cheater pipe to fit over the ratchet handle for added oomph.

Back