• Register Today It's free!

Belt Tensioner Assembly

yostmatt

Reaction score
City, State
Hollidaysburg, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer, Ford f150
Hey guys. New here, well not really new, I usually use the search box and you guys answer my questions, so I never posted anything. But hello!

I am having an issue with my belt tensioner. During cold starts it rattles back and fourth really quickly. I was wondering if this was covered under the power-train warranty. I called one local Ford dealer, and they referred me to Ford. I called them, they said its needs diagnosed first. UGH. I called another dealer, they said it might be covered, but they would have to look at it first, and they can't schedule me for 10 days out.

I don't want to have to pay a diag fee when i could replace the part myself for around 60 bucks. But I would rather the dealer do it, if its covered.

Anyone else have this kind of issue, or maybe it is something to be on the lookout for. My Explorer has 54k on it. Thanks in advance, I gotta get back to work now.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife’s explorer started having the rattle from the tensioner. I replaced it along with a new belt a few months ago and the noise went away. Now less then 10k miles it’s doing it again. Any ideas what’s causing this?

Bad tensioner right out of the box. It happens.

You might want to check the belt alignment.

My wife’s explorer started having the rattle from the tensioner. I replaced it along with a new belt a few months ago and the noise went away. Now less then 10k miles it’s doing it again. Any ideas what’s causing this?
I know this is a few years later, but mine did the same thing. 108K miles I changed the tensioner and the belt. Half of the belt was missing.
The replacement tensioner was a Motorcraft, so I figured it would last, but it failed at 13 months / 10k miles (1 month over the warranty). It started rattling while the AC Compressor was on.

I now replaced it with a cheap aftermarket one and will see how long that lasts.

The tensioner does move quite a bit while the car is running. Is it normal for it to move / jump around 15 degrees, or should it be pretty stationary? If it should be stationary, I wonder if something is out of alignment.

I know this is a few years later, but mine did the same thing. 108K miles I changed the tensioner and the belt. Half of the belt was missing.
The replacement tensioner was a Motorcraft, so I figured it would last, but it failed at 13 months / 10k miles (1 month over the warranty). It started rattling while the AC Compressor was on.
Why only a 1 year warrantyt??

Ford Parts Warranty​

Ford and Motorcraft® Replacement Parts are covered against any defects in material or workmanship for 24-months/unlimited distance (whichever occurs first).75 Select parts, such as engines, transmissions, shocks, and struts have even longer time and/or distance coverages.

Peter

Back