belt tensioner problems??

hostile413

Reaction score
City, State
Pekin, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 E.B. AWD
hey guys!

once again i turn to this board to see if any of you have had this problem. About two weeks ago my belt started making this god awful sound, kinda like a screaching. I replaced the belt, but the problem is still there.

I then pulled off the belt and turned by hand what pulleys i could. I found it to be the belt tensioner. Is this a common thing with these? Are they hard to change? I bought the replacement and its waiting to go on.

I also found a few other things that need replaced, the brake fluid is almost black, the power steering fluid needs replaced, and my egr valve that i just replaced a few months back is giving me trouble codes again!!

IN light of all my new problems, this is my work truck and i dont have a garage to change all this crap. I ended up buying a 94 chevy cargo van for a thousand bucks to get me back and forth to work, and it sucks!!! I really miss my AWD, not to mention its a chevy...lol.

So, do you guys think this is something i can do in one day? I dont want to freeze my ass off, but if i can do it in one day and get my explorer back, then so be it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks pretty straightforward from the manual:

Attachments

• tensioner1.jpg
    tensioner1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 434
  • tensioner2.jpg
    tensioner2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 422

thanks for the diagram, my haynes manual doest even show the tensioner, unless im over looking it

bringing back a dead thread :D

what size are the bolts, anybody know/remember?

got myself a chirp, and already replaced both idler pulleys. Upper was bad, but not making noise (did not spin freely, and had a bit of a wobble), lower spun fine.

and I noticed that the Chilton's says absolutely nothing about any of the pulleys, except for the bolt torque specs. Been wondering myself how many bolts there were on the tensioner assy, glad I found this post.

I had to replace mine a couple of years ago, but I don't remember what the bolt size(s) are. Plus I have the 4.0 L and I don't know if it is the same as the 5.0.

the assy's look quite different from one another... I'm just going to guess it's prolly a 13 or 14mm, as the bolts for the pulley's are 15mm.
should get my new one this morning before I drop the junk off to get my window replaced...

hopefully this fixes my chirp :cool:

Back