Best Adhesive to Reattach Window to 2 small tracks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Adhesive to Reattach Window to 2 small tracks

3xowner

Reaction score
City, State
Western US
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer EB 4SOHC RWD
I have to resecure my drivers door window to the regulator track in my 2000 Explorer 4 door.

there are two small brackets / tracks that are about 2 inches long each on the far sides of the window.

It seems that the original may have been some type of silicone or something.

What is the best / cost effective material to use to adhere to the window to the tracks?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to resecure my drivers door window to the regulator track in my 2000 Explorer 4 door.

there are two small brackets / tracks that are about 2 inches long each on the far sides of the window.

It seems that the original may have been some type of silicone or something.

What is the best / cost effective material to use to adhere to the window to the tracks?

TIA

I had one of those brackets come off the glass on one of our 2000 Mountaineers, must be at least 6 years ago now. I cleaned up the glass and the bracket as best I could and put 3M yellow weather stripping adhesive (AKA Gorilla snot) in the bracket. I then inserted the glass, rolled the window up all the way and and didn't put it down for 24 hours. Still holding on.

Same here I just used blue rtv

They sell the appropriate glue for this called window urethane. It’s beyond permanent, be careful.

I find that the window channel get full of dirt and pollen and that puts a lot of drag on the window glass when going down. IMO that's what causes the glass to pull out of the track. I find that spraying the channels with Liquid Wrench brand foaming silicon spray makes your windows work like new again. I spray my channels once every year or two to keep them running smoothly. As far as what goop to use, I've found few adhesives that are tougher than 3M yellow weather stripping adhesive. Use whatever you're comfortable with.

Frankly, Ford's method of attaching the glass to the regulator is weak sauce. Most manufactures I've delt with attach the glass to the regulator with small bolts.

Back