• Register Today It's free!

Best Brakes

nickorsi

Reaction score
City, State
Cumming,Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Mountaineer
I need to replace the brakes on my 98' Mountaineer but not sure which brand to go with. Should I go with ceramic or semi-metallic?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ceramics are the way to go.. not as much brake dust, less noise and lil better stopping

but i heard somethin about a carbon fiber pad or somethin
id check into that!!!

Ceramic, hands down. I haven't put them on my X yet, but I put them on my LS a few months back and every pad change I do from there forward will be ceramic.

what store do you go to if you have an auto zone nearby get there pads with a lifetime warrenty they have a garentee against wear so get their gold pads and you wont be sorry

Speaking of Brakes Are there any great brake mods from another truck or car we can use to get better performance out there?? Just wondering thanks guys..

Ceramic, hands down. I haven't put them on my X yet, but I put them on my LS a few months back and every pad change I do from there forward will be ceramic.

I haven't been that impressed with the ceramics on my Mountaineer.

Stopping power.

I had ceramic front & back. I had a front rotor that was giving me problems so I switched to Wagner semi-metallic on the front when I replaced the rotors. There is no more brake dust from the Wagner's then the ceramics. The stopping is better as well.

do you have D/S rotors? I did D/S rotors and Raybestos ceramic pads on the LS. Stopping power wansn't drastically increased, however I noticed much less fade in stop and go highway traffic. And, my old pads would make my chrome wheels black in a week after washing. Now I can go 2 months between washing and not have black wheels.

I recommend the combination of Hawke ceramic pads ( http://www.hawkperformance.com/ )with power slot rotors.

I have this set-up, hawk pads with powerslot rotors all around. They are the same price as stock or your regular midas equipment. However, I see little if any improvement over stock.
If you think these will vastly improve your braking you will be disappointed.
However why pay for generic when you can have slotted rotors?

I just finished installing powerslot rotors in the front with hawk LTS pads and NAPA ultra premium rotors in the back paired with hawk HPS pads (replaced my e-brake shoes too.. now i have parking brakes!! :D) a couple of weeks ago and I did have a noticeable increase in stopping capability. No more brake shudder, no more irregular brake pedal feel, shorter stopping distance without applying too much pressure on the pedal. Basically, I’m happy with my new setup :chug: oh, and no brake squeal too..

Back