Best Exhaust Muffler for V6 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Exhaust Muffler for V6 Explorer

16EBBOY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V6
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 with 80250 miles. My friend has a 2004 Suburban and just got a Flowmaster 50 series muffler that i fell in love with! I know comparing a V6 and a V8 in ridiculous but what is the best sounding exhaust for a V6 i dont really it to be raspy i kinda want a rumble growl.

Do some you tube searching and listen to sound clips. What you like may be different from what everybody else likes.

Not sure if you've made a decision yet. I had a custom exhaust shop down the street put 3 different mufflers on my 06 V6 and they all sounded horrible in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love a loud car, but the V6 explorer just isn't one of those meant to be loud. I tried a magnaflow and I believe a 40 and 50 series flowmaster and ended up going back to stock. I did have him put a nice stainless steel tip on which helped improve the look.

Essentially my car sounded like the older grand prix's

If you want your exhaust to sound it’s best you need to bring it to a good exhaust shop and have them cut the y-pipe right behind the cats, run a true dual all the way back with either an X-pipe or H-pipe and your choice of mufflers although I would imagine you may have to stick with something with a smaller diameter like a bullet style muffler. It will cost you and still won’t be a v8, but that’s the best way to make the 4.0 sound good imo.

If you don’t want to go through all that, I suggest going on YouTube and watching videos of 4.0 sohc explorers & Rangers.

Back