Best way to drain radiator ??

ratterrier

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2WD
Hi,

I just started draining the radiator in my '96 Explorer by attaching a tube to the outlet and opening the valve. It only trickled out so I figured maybe I needed to open the radiator cap and overflow container. The coolant came out slightly better, but still not much. I opened the valve as much as I could...it started squirting out of the valve threads, so I backed it off a bit.

At the rate it was going it would have taken about 1/2 hour to fill a gallon. Is there something I should be doing that I'm not aware of to drain the radiator faster...shouldn't opening the valve be enough ?? I don't need to do a complete flush.

Thanks,
Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

best way I've found is disconnect the lower radiator hose with a bucket under there. drains in about 20 seconds, but wear gloves or have some towels handy as you WILL get your hands wet doing this

I just use the petcock valve on the passenger side of the radiator. Slip a piece of hose over the nipple and it's relatively mess-free.

Thanks for the info. The valve I mentioned was the petcock valve...and I figured it would be easy and mess free. But it is trickling rather than draining. Maybe it's got some sediment clogging it.

I was hoping not to disconnect the lower radiator hose. I may overflow the bucket and cause a minor ecological disaster.

Draining through the petcock valve should be enough, right ?? I'm just concerned why it's not flowing out.

I just put a bucket right under the valve and open it all the way. It just runs into the bucket. If it is still not running at a good rate with the rad. cap off use a hose and run a lot of water through the rad. to flush out the sediment. If the overflow tank is dirty clean it also.
Be sure to use distilled water & collant, 50/50 mix when you refill. Use the green collant.

open up the radiator, jack up the left front side slightly, then open the draincock

must you use distilled water?

radiator.

Use distilled water. It is less than a dollar a gallon at any grocery store. No you absolutley do not have to use it, but why wouldn't you?
Open your radiator cap. cover the hole with seran wrap and secure with rubber bands to make a strong airtight seal. Open up your overflow tank. Fill it up with distilled water and find something you can stir it up with. Open up the draincock. The coolant will flow out of the overflow tank, into the radiator and out the draincock. Keep adding distilled water to the overflow tank untill the stuff coming out the draincock is clear. If the draincock flow completely stops during this process, you must continue flushing from the radiator cap hole as the suction in the system is gone. Turn off the draincock. Take the seran wrap off the radiator fill hole. Fill the radiator with 50/50 green coolant and distilled water untill you are about three to four inches from the top. Leave off the radiator cap and start the engine. Wait for your upper radiator hose to become very hot. 5-10 minutes. The level in your radiator might raise up a bit. Don't get your eyes close to it as it might bubble and splatter a bit. Once the upper hose is very hot, let it run one more minute, then turn off the motor. Fill the radiator up the rest of the way with your 50/50 mix and recap. Now fill up the overflow with the 50/50 mix to the hot line. You are now done. You have dumped old coolant, flushed the radiator and overflow tank, installed new coolant, and bled the system.:)

Get it real hot and hit a tree......

i have drained my radiator before and had that valve all the way open. still no fluid coming out.

a quick shot of shop air opened it right up. it just had some sediment in there. shoot some air at it or get a peice of stiff wire and fish out the hole. should start flowing right away.

sure it takes a few seconds more than removing the lower hose, but it is a whole lot less messy

draincock

have2goski is right- forgot about your original complaint.

Sometimes they do get clogged.

Originally posted by bipolarbob
Get it real hot and hit a tree......
Now THAT'S talking from experience. LOL!

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'll be attempting to unclog the petcock in a couple of days. I suspected it might be sediment after I started the other day...when I had it flushed about a year ago, the mechanic showed me he had a tough time getting circulation.

Back