• Register Today It's free!

best way to lower the explorer???

QuadCam

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V8 AWD Limited
Do I really need to buy the $150 kit form Explorer Express???

The front torsion twist seems to be a free lowering. And for the rear, can't I just go to Pep Boys and buy a $20 set of blocks?

What else is needed?

Is it dificult to align it, and adjust the camber and caster?

finally, do I need to put the explorer up on jacks while I adjust the torsion bars, or can the torsion bars be adjusted while the explorer is on the ground?

thanks,

andrew

Here's what I found:

- It's a $169 kit from Explorer Express

- Yeah, the torsion twist is N/C. All the Pep Boys type lowering kits I found had U-bolts that were too small in diameter for the Explorer axle housing. Also, the 1" probably isn't enough, and 2" is too much, because you can't get the front end down enough, even with the bump stops cut. Even if you could lower the front more, you wouldn't want to, because...

- You'll definitely need to adjust caster and camber, and you'll find that as you approach 0 degrees camber (my preferred setting), you'll have no caster and it'll steer like a mid-60s Chrysler. I compromised with 1/2 degree negative camber and approx. 3 1/2 degrees positive caster.

- No, you don't need to jack it up to adjust the torsion bars. Of course, if you're RAISING it, you'll be fighting the vehicle weight.

Have fun!

Pete

thanks Pete.

are the explorer express lower block 1.5" or 1.75"?

Lowering an explorer sport

I have a 97 explorer sport and want to lower it about 1.5 inches. Explorer express makes a kit but for the 2 door...it only lowers the front. I called them and they said that its because the rear already sags. Mine doesn't sag and if it did...does it sag exactly 1.5inches. I was thinking of just getting the 4 door kit and putting it on. Is this bad or is there any other way of lowering it? If not i am going to eventually put a full airbag system.

Back