Best winch for the money | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best winch for the money

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my waren i bought new did 4 pulls and f'd up when i got it back used it twice and screwed up agine now its on the shelf i run 2 24000 pound ramsey's on my truck and it works even submerd. Buy a mile marker or ramsey

Yeah my smittybilt does its job, but I shoulda bought a warn. Don't cheap it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Consider where you will use the winch more than how often (middle of nowhere with leathal climate vs frequently used trail), your alternatives (buddy with another truck and snatch rope vs alone), and how much you can spend now vs waiting a while using another option until you can get the quality/size winch you decide you need.

Any type of recovery equipement is better than none. Knowing how to use multiple types of recovery techniques properly is better than being unfamiliar with even the best winch/equipment. Read books, watch videos on extraction and then go practice when you aren't really in trouble.

All the crap on my truck with the exception of the tires and shocks are the direct result of finding myself in trouble and wishing I had something different. Lonesome trail in Death Valley in August, hadn't seen another vehicle in 16 hours driving down a 20 mile washboard road. Just about drove off a 3 foot dry creek bank in the dark= HID lights for greater distance and contrast. Just about drove off a 600 foot cliff when all I could see was hood and sky= smarter driving and taking my time to always walk the trail ahead. The list goes on and on.

Oh and most pertinent, stranded on a saddle again in Death Valley. Slid down hill to get into saddle, trail over peak ahead terminated in 900 foot drop, both sides = 300 feet down and that hill I came down to get there in the first place was steep, rocky and rutted from others that had gotten stranded there before. Ranger later told me they go in and get someone there a couple times a year with a helicopter, the National park service bills the vehicle owner. I was lucky ond got out on my own. It wasn't easy and I crushed a rear spring eye to the frame when I hit one of those rocks at speed. This resulted in 1/4" custom skid plates and a big fricking winch. Not everyone needs to spend the money on a winch, but I did.

A side note; the more prepared I am, the more my girlfriend is willing to go with me. Thats worth whatever it costs to me. Like I said at the beginning, consider your specific situation and get what you think you need, anything is better than nothing.

Great post Joecrna, wise words mate.

summit racing is selling 6000 pounders 150 dollers

one more thing to consiter is water thats what killed my waren. where i trail ride i have 6 water crossings some very deep. after talking to waren about my dead winch , they said to take the motor apart and clean it out coroded contacks on the motor . when im ready to reasemble he said to rvt it back togeather

My Smitty XRC8 is hit er miss, she works now, now that i rebuilt the whole winch! new solonoids and cables and wiring.
Why that needed to be done... beyond me
she works now, today i pulled myself outta some snow

guys, JUST BUY A FREAKIN WARN

Warn is a great investment plenty of parts and models available. Usually last a long time and if need rebuilding you can order parts for a price but definately serviceable. I just bought a bulldog Alpha with a lifetime warranty. The warranty is what sold me, the alpha winch is beefed up from their regular winches that are honestly, sub par. It all depends on how much you want to jack with it in the long run. Warn will be around, they are time tested, but if you gamble on the 'others' make they are worth it i.e.:warranty.

if your gonna do stuff like this, a Warn is the best , that was almost a full drum of cable,,

Nice vid. Wish I would have had a winch last night would have made digging for three hours not necessary! Went winter camping and went wheelin, long story short right side was in two ft of snow is all left side ended up being in over five. Drifted snow apparently its a side hill of some sort. Kept wanting to slide more and more down into the wicked deep drift. Took forever to get out, winch would have been VERY nice.

Back