Best winch for the money | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best winch for the money

I was extremely interested in this thread because I'm in the same place - looking to get a winch in the (somewhat) near future and unsure for an occasional wheeler if the Warn/heavy duty name brand is really worth the extra money.

The snatch block question above got me looking for some information to basic winching questions since I've never had a winch before.

Here is a really helpful link with some nice illustrations to explain the concept of using a snatch block. You can read the whole thing if you're a geek like me or skip right to pages 13-14 for the snatch block/pulling techniques section:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/Warn_guide_to_winching.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang. I thought I was a BAMF for winching my 18k lb crew truck three times a month! :p:

LOL!!! Those were the fun days!!!!

Excellant link 93!!!! :thumbsup:

Great link Baddecision93 I edited my first post and put that link on post #1 to so people can see it right away. Good info on in that article.

I have a snatch block but rarely use it. It takes a ton more time. Not only do you have to unspool twice the amount of cable, but your winch also pulls twice as slow. I only whip out the snatch block when I have to change direction or when the winch just won't pull the load. Honestly guys, I have subjected mine and all my buddies Warn winches to all the abuse we could throw at them with out so much as a hickup. Mine has always worked flawlessly when I need it, even if it has been 8 months since I unspooled it. My friend phil with a sas full size bronc runs a hs9500i, my brother runs a xd9000i, my buddy matt with a tj runs an xd9000i, my other buddy with a tj runs a 8274 and I run a X8000i. They have all been reliable despite the abuse. I think I would rather buy a good winch and not buy a snatch block then a cheapy with a block:dunno: I know, I know any winch will die if you get them hot, but there is a reason most of the rigs out there that get wheeled have a red W peaking out of the grill.

Great link Baddecision93 I edited my first post and put that link on post #1 to so people can see it right away. Good info on in that article.

Thanks!

Excellent thread. Always nice to see someone else who has the same questions you do, you know?

Just thought I'd throw these in to get people's idea's on hand winches or thought's about using an electric winch that's not hard mounted to the frame.

Attachments

• !BzDBmJQBGk~$(KGrHqYOKk!E)QcRHsw)BMUQSn0dH!~~_12.jpg
    !BzDBmJQBGk~$(KGrHqYOKk!E)QcRHsw)BMUQSn0dH!~~_12.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 07-10-19to23009E.jpg
    07-10-19to23009E.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,389

A good old fashioned come-a-long has saved my butt more than once. Definitely a good item to throw in the tool box. A highlift comes in handy too when used as a winch. Or both as seen in this picture, when even 4 chained up 37" MTRs couldn't keep me on the trail. Luckily for me (not my passenger door) a tree stopped me. I ended up working at this one for 3 hours or so. driving backwards, tightening up the highlift, driving forward and tightening up the come-a-long, and so on, until I was back up on the trail.
Parts001.jpg

On the portable type winches: I have used one before. My brother has his setup simularly for his XJ with cables running front and rear, except that it has a 2" receiver mount on it. I wired my truck for it so I could borrow it before I got my own(as seen below)- I ran it with only jumper cables to my optima for a while until I smoked some cables and wired it up right with the plug in and 2 gauge wire.
Tub.jpg

DCFC0209.jpg

I don't really like the multi mount setup. The only plus I see is that it can be used backwards (a hard mounted one really could be if you aren't stuck in such a way to prevent running the cable underneath). I found in most situations, though, I planned on going forward through something and got stuck. So usually I planned on going forward anyway, so the best way out is to be pulled forward. Worst case, hopefully my buddy has a winch and can snatch around me an pull me backwards if he is in front or simply pull me backward.
A multimount is not my choice because:
1- It is nice that it can be stored in the garage, but when you need it, seems like it is alway in the garage
2- It is not a nice thing to store in the vehicle when it is not in use. I was always afraid it was going to get stolen since it came off and on so easy, so it always got stored in cargo. My brother bolts his down in the back of his XJ when not in use- it has a receiver secured in the cargo that it slides into. I, personally, am a little leery of that thing coming loose in a roll.
3- You really don't want to wheel with them on, because they are so big and hang off the front and destroy the approach angle, not mention catching that expensive winch hanging out there all alone on a ledge or something.
4- They are heavy and huge to move around in a stuck situation- I am short on cargo room as it is, so putting that thing inside my truck, securing it, then dragging it out if I need it just sucks. Hope you are stuck in such a way that makes your receiver accessible too. Usually, I stored the winch behind my passenger seat on top of the passenger rear seat that was folded. All strapped down and what not. It was a bear to get out with 1 guy. especially when the truck was sitting in a precarious position.
5- A receiver is somewhat marginal for a mount. They flop around somewhat loosely in the receivers when you have them in. clunking and what not. They aren't really good for side pulls because there is soo much leverage on that one spot and there is some length to them.

So? I like the hard mount. It is there when you need it. It is solidly mounted, secure, and you never have to worry about it. If you are in a sketchy spot, all it takes is a flip of the clutch button to get a line ran. I know, the one in the pic in the post above doesn't look like a multimount at all, but I think all of the above applies. I would probably do a multimount before I would do a loose winch bolted to a plate with some wires hanging off of it.

However, I did see a guy pulling a bull elk out of a ravine with a gas powered winch one time. He had it chained to a tree and he was hanging on for dear life with the throttle wide open! Pretty much a chain saw with a spool on it! Sweet!!

Excellent post Kirby. The hand winch in the back is definitely the go for a back up if your electric one s***'s itself or on the occasion (you were in) when you need lateral support.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kirby you just changed my mind about a multi-mount winch. That's what I was going to do but now I'm just going to wait til I get a bumper with a winch mount.

Chainsaw Winch
Lewis%20winch.jpg

Always have a come-a -long with me. Seems any time I need to winch I need lateral stability too. The Black Rat, above, is one of the best (not what I have however). The High Lift can be used but very slow. For a main winch, I personally use a 12k lb Warn Power Plant HD. When properly mounted, it can pull the entire rear of the vehicle off the ground. Just before it pulls the front through the top of the obsticle that is. Never had the winch malfunction.

Might want to check out a Pull Pal for remote winching when there are no trees around. The thing grabs ahold of anything, pricey though. If you go to truely remote, high risk locations with a single vehicle, all of these things are more than worth their price.

You can go crazy trying to include everything in your recovery kit though. Mine is actually far from complete but includes Amsteel Blue rope extension, 2-3 pully blocks, grade 80 chain, 10 D ring shackles, 2 tree protectors, snatch straps, tow straps, every High Lift jack accessory and a host of other small but "essential" items.

Unless you are very experienced at extraction, pack several spare parts/tools and can survive the environment you are in for several days on your own, the most important thing to bring is a buddy with another truck and a couple ways to hook them together.

Might want to check out a Pull Pal for remote winching when there are no trees around. The thing grabs ahold of anything, pricey though. If you go to truely remote, high risk locations with a single vehicle, all of these things are more than worth their price.

You can go crazy trying to include everything in your recovery kit though. Mine is actually far from complete but includes Amsteel Blue rope extension, 2-3 pully blocks, grade 80 chain, 10 D ring shackles, 2 tree protectors, snatch straps, tow straps, every High Lift jack accessory and a host of other small but "essential" items.

I had my buddies dad tell me that back in the old days before fancy pull palls, he would bury the spare tire and use a lug wrench in the center to hook his winch hook to. He said if you bury the tire, then when you pull on it from your truck- not straight up but like against the hole- almost across the hole instead of up out of the hole- that it works pretty good. Sounds like a ton of work, but it has been my backup plan since I don't carry a pull pal.

WOW! You go prepared! :eek:

I agree with that statement but i would rather have one and not need it than to need it and not have it. much so like a gun while camping

I know i'm going to get some s*** for this but.... I found a 5000lb electric winch and it only weigh's 25lb, if I only ever use it with a snatch do you guy's reckon I'd be right most of the time? (only boggy sand and possibly a few small hill's) Afew reason's why I'm asking this stupid question, 1) my guard won't support a winch. 2) my back won't support a come a long. 3)25lb is easy to move front to back. I would run it like the camper van pic up the thread abit. O.k everyone can laugh and point now.

I know i'm going to get some s*** for this but.... I found a 5000lb electric winch and it only weigh's 25lb, if I only ever use it with a snatch do you guy's reckon I'd be right most of the time? (only boggy sand and possibly a few small hill's) Afew reason's why I'm asking this stupid question, 1) my guard won't support a winch. 2) my back won't support a come a long. 3)25lb is easy to move front to back. I would run it like the camper van pic up the thread abit. O.k everyone can laugh and point now.

ha ha ha ha ha im kidding:p: if that is what you can afford at the moment by all means get it. you just will run into trouble in the future by going cheep. I would get it to use just in case you need to be pulled from behind:cool:

Thank's for taking it easy on me mate :D:thumbsup:

You know lynchy, I'm sure everyone's going to give the obligatory "a winch is one place you don't save money on" etc, etc and I would tend to agree with them, but if you are really going to use it only occasionally and only with a snatch block you will probably get away with it alright.
Just know that your 4,000+ vehicle is going to offer more than 4,000# of resistance when it's stuck. That's why you're supposed to go with a higher load rating. Since the snatch block can get you to an effective working load you might be alright but know that the cheaper winch might not hold up. So you need to be prepared to hoof it back home it the cheap winch gives up halfway through an extraction, ya know? :(

Yeah, I've had me eye on a couple of 12k's running synthetic line but lugging 100lb isn't my idea of fun. I haven't had alot to do with winches so I was hoping the principle would work for those times I go where I shouldn't, that "oh s***" feeling down in your gut's. Followed by a couple of hour's of digging, jacking and airing down to 6 psi.:D Thinking well I won't do that again until it happen's next time. Thank's for the info guys, this thread is worth it's weight in warn's.

I will chime in here with a few options.

First of all I agree Warn is the best, no question about that. For my Explorer I run a multi mount XD9000i and have never had a problem. It does not get used very much but it is nice to have it when needed.

I run a heavily modified Jeep for extreme rockcrawling and I use its winch ALOT. It usually gets used almost every trip doing roll over recoveries or winching up vertical waterfalls. I cheaped out when I bought the winch for the Jeep and went with a new to the market brand back then, T-Max. It was a 9k rated winch and was around $450 when I bought it. It has never failed when it was needed. Line speed is about perfect. Only problem was the switch in the remote quit working after a few years but I replaced it and no problems since. And T-max originated in Australia.

For the budget minded I would go with a Warn M8000 as the best which can sometimes be found sub-$500. The T-max is a good choice, cheapest is here or even cheaper but the exact same is Summit Racing's house brand here I would not recommend anything under an 8k rated winch for an Explorer no matter how cheap or how little you think you will use it. Stay away from mile Markers and Smittybuilt winches as people I know have had nothing but problems with them and the line speed is too slow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That T-max looks nice :)

Never thought of Westin for a winch, but what little I have heard about them has been all good.

What type of problems do the Smittybuilt's have? Solenoid, motor, etc....?

Back