Better Off-Road a 98 to 2000 or Gen 3? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better Off-Road a 98 to 2000 or Gen 3?

steelo1

Reaction score
City, State
Hervey Bay, Queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4.0L
Hi guys, am back after a couple of years owning a Nissan Patrol (GQ) & am seriously looking at Explorers again (had a 98 & 2000). Which is easier to mod for off-road i.e. 2" lift & bigger tyres, gen 2 or gen 3? as I like the idea of the v8 LOL. Both my 98 & 2000 had tt & shackles done plus bigger tyres also remember I am in Oz :australia & parts are a lot harder to get here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For offroad purposes, definetley 2nd gen, The 3rd gen IRS is a lot harder to lift than the 2nd gens solid rear axle. Also a 2nd gen with just shackles, and sway bars removed will flex an unbeleivable amount when compared to a 3rd gen.

gen 2 for sure. they are also much easier to find parts for at the pick n pull.

pick & pull????
I thought that might be the case but had to ask over there (US) as you guys would know better

pick n pull is just another term for junkyard, or salvage yard.

sway bar quick disconnect threads have been mad by members on the forum. there are threads on this, just use the search bar and a few will pop up. good luck on your search!

Back