• Register Today It's free!

Better Seats?

Shadrack

Reaction score
City, State
East Central Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport XLS
I bought an '03 Sport 2-Door XLS 5-Speed. The front seats are buckets of course and initially feel firm and comfy. An hour later my butt start going numb. I'm guessing that the seat mounting holes are the same for most any Ranger and Explorer Sport of this generation(yes, I know the 03 Sport is the old generation while the 4-door is the new generation that started in around '02). These seats are cloth on the outside sections and this wierd plastic-like fabric on the center panels.
Any suggestions for junkyard replacements( specific years or models) for these torture devices?

I'd really like to stay with manual seats. I'm have a simple is better mindset about most things. A buddy has a 2001 Ranger 4x4 and its manual buckets are much more comfortable than the ones in my Sport.

I wish I could mount a set of Charger seats in my Sport...

because they are soooo comfortable on any trip and they support my back and lower legs so they don't ache or go numb...

But I am about to try a set from a 2008 Explorer in my Sport... I believe the mounting holes on the bottom of the newer seats are close to the 99's... If not, I will make an adapter plate to mount the new seats to the old mounts... The seats come with mounts but I believe I will need to drill new holes to use their mounts...

I have done this once with my old Sport seats and that was to install more, firmer padding in the lower cushion and the lower part of the upper backrest...My problem is that the old seats recline way too much and they lose the firmness after a couple of hours in them...I haven't taken them apart yet but I bet the lower frame where the latch attaches is partially broken... I can pull the backrest forward and the seat will sit there until I sit in the seat...Then it moves backward about 6-9"...

Back