Biggest Tires on a 95 XLT???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Biggest Tires on a 95 XLT????

Here's the deal. I'm trying to get new tires on my truck, but I keep getting different info. Everything is stock on my truck and right now I have 235/75/15. I want a bigger tire(I hate how wimpy my truck looks), so from what I've read on this board and other places my safest bet would be 30x9.5. The guy at the Goodyear I called told me that Ford "expressly" recommends that only the stock 235's be placed on the truck due to the short wheel base and all. He also told me that 30x9.5 would not fit my rims anyway. Of course then he spent 10 minutes on trying to get me to buy Goodyears new 'premier' tire. Anyway, I'm just curious on how much he told me is true. Can I fit 30x9.5's on my truck. The rims are stock, but I don't know what size that means they are. Also, I saw another size mentioned on here...something like 265/75/15 that were said to be equal to 30x9.5(or maybe it was 31x10.5). I'm not looking to trim anything, and I honestly don't do much offroading(if any). I just want a better looking truck.

thanks
richrock

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He is crazy. You have a 15x7" rim. A 30x9.5r15 will fit perfectly, in fact that is just about what a 235/75 is anyways. Of course they are going to say the manufacturer suggests this, that's their job. If you get a 31" tire, most likely it will rub. Some do and some don't but a 30x9.5 will not rub at all and you can get a more aggresive looking tire. I suggest BFG AT's, do a search most people get 45-50,000 miles on each set.

richrock I have 255/70/16 Goodyear ATS on my 1999 EB with no clearance problems at all. They translate roughly to a 30x9.50 tire. Looks really good for stock, will do TT, shackles, and wheels before next tire purchase. Hope this helps.

I ran 31X10.5x15 BFG's on my stock 97 without the torsion bar lift for quite awhile.

I had 31x10.50's on my '95 XLT while still stock for almost a year. Only rubbed one time, that was when I jumped some train tracks and came down really hard. Still no problems. Also had them on my '97 while it was stock height with no rubbing.

tire dealer is really givin u a good line of bs. i felt the same way u did when i bought my truck new in 95. after 6 months i put on Goodyear 31x11.50's on stock 15x7 wheels and had no rubbing probs whatsoever. see if another tire place will test fit a 31x10.50 for u.
Rick

Originally posted by yob_yeknom
I had 31x10.50's on my '95 XLT while still stock for almost a year. Only rubbed one time, that was when I jumped some train tracks and came down really hard. Still no problems. Also had them on my '97 while it was stock height with no rubbing.

I thought you always had a '95? And what kinda tires are you running now?

Secondly I had 15" Wilderness on my truck and I switched over to P265/70/R16 Michelin CrossTerrains. They were a bit expensive but they offer a real nice ride because they are so wide and they do pretty good offroad. Not too many people are running them because I think the tire is fairly new.

Here's the deal. I'm trying to get new tires on my truck, but I keep getting different info. Everything is stock on my truck and right now I have 235/75/15. I want a bigger tire(I hate how wimpy my truck looks), so from what I've read on this board and other places my safest bet would be 30x9.5. The guy at the Goodyear I called told me that Ford "expressly" recommends that only the stock 235's be placed on the truck due to the short wheel base and all. He also told me that 30x9.5 would not fit my rims anyway. Of course then he spent 10 minutes on trying to get me to buy Goodyears new 'premier' tire. Anyway, I'm just curious on how much he told me is true. Can I fit 30x9.5's on my truck. The rims are stock, but I don't know what size that means they are. Also, I saw another size mentioned on here...something like 265/75/15 that were said to be equal to 30x9.5(or maybe it was 31x10.5). I'm not looking to trim anything, and I honestly don't do much offroading(if any). I just want a better looking truck.

thanks
richrock
Ive got 31x10.5 on my explorer xlt 95. They work great.

Back