binding/hoping feeling while slow speed turning.. ANY HELP PLEASE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

binding/hoping feeling while slow speed turning.. ANY HELP PLEASE

jlrapp8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mercury mountaineer
Ok i have posted about this before. i have an 02 mountaineer AWD 4.0L. it is doing a binding/hoping kinda thing during low speed turning. at first it was only when turning steering wheel all the way, but it has gotten worse and now does it truning at all at LOW speeds.I.E.(parking). i have looked up and found some info about a TSB for the rear end clutch pak. but i have also seen a post about the viscous coupling in the transfer case maybe going out?? any help on this would really help me out. oh ya i have had my wife drive it so i can look out side. and you can see the back wheel slipping/hopping when turning.??????????? THANKS

i WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW IF DRIVING WITHOUT FRONT DRIVE SHAFT WILL HARM THE CAR FOR A FEW MONTHS TILL I CAN GET MONEY TO GET IT FIXED. BESIDES THE NORMAL CREEPING IT DOES IN PARK???THANKS

ok so i removed the front drive shaft tonight. PAIN IN THE A**. nothing like the rear. and all the noises and vibrations and everything stopped. so does this mean its the virious coupling or something in the transfer case? ALSO will it harm it to drive without drive shaft for couple months till i can afford to fix it???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the TSB that I read recently stated that this was caused by false 4wd engagement. the truck thinks the wheels are slipping,which they probably are while trying to park and thus the truck tries to engage 4wd before it realizes it shouldnt.

Yeah sounds like the viscous doodad if you have the AWD transfer case - remove the front driveshaft and see if it goes away.

Yeah sounds like the viscous doodad if you have the AWD transfer case - remove the front driveshaft and see if it goes away.

How easy is it to remove the front drive shaft????

Maybe 20 minutes - depends on whether or not you've removed a driveshaft before.

Maybe 20 minutes - depends on whether or not you've removed a driveshaft before.

I have removed my old drive shaft on one of my old pick up's. but never a front drive shaft on a 4x4 or AWD. will it hurt to drive it without it? i really on need 2WD

Well we're only removing the front driveshaft to diagnose and pinpoint the problem.

But if the 3rd generation AWD transfer case operates much like the 2nd generation's, then the problem you will have w/o a front driveshaft is only creeping - which is when the vehicle slowly moves forward when its parked on an incline. But then again, if the viscous coupling is frozen solid, then maybe your vehicle wont creep at all :)

Well we're only removing the front driveshaft to diagnose and pinpoint the problem.

But if the 3rd generation AWD transfer case operates much like the 2nd generation's, then the problem you will have w/o a front driveshaft is only creeping - which is when the vehicle slowly moves forward when its parked on an incline. But then again, if the viscous coupling is frozen solid, then maybe your vehicle wont creep at all :)

oh ok. i have heard that the drive shaft on these connect INSIDE the transfer case?? so you have to get inside that to remove the drive shaft. i have heard about the creeping thing before. but i just had the parking brake adjusted and trained my wife to always use it cuz while on an incline i broke the gear shifter cuz the strain from the incline put to much strain on shifter. so if thats the only thing it will do without drive shaft than that doesnt really both me. :)

Also its so bad now that it shakes the whole car pretty good now

So i just wanted to make sure if i remove the drive shaft on front it will not harm car by driving?? At least for a few months till i can fix transfer case?

Don't know if helpful or not, but my '04 also seemed to be binding at slow speeds in tight turns. I recently had all my fluids changed, including transfer case and front and rear differentials, and the binding has totally stopped. maybe the flushing out process freed something up on mine?? But it has definitely made a difference. Totally smooth now at all speeds.

Don't know if helpful or not, but my '04 also seemed to be binding at slow speeds in tight turns. I recently had all my fluids changed, including transfer case and front and rear differentials, and the binding has totally stopped. maybe the flushing out process freed something up on mine?? But it has definitely made a difference. Totally smooth now at all speeds.

I did change my rear diff fluid a while back and did add the additive(one from autozone not fords) and it seemed to be better for maybe a day. but still does it. than i pick up the ford additive and added that and no change at all. i will probably take front drive shaft off this weekend and see how she does??????????????

whats your axle code? are you sure its LSD? My AWD came with 45 or Open diffs, do you have a classIII hitch?

It sure sounds like its the Viscous, see that other post, might be the Xfr case section?
The drive shaft is removable without opening the xfr case. couple of bolts, if you take one off before it should be the similar deal. Someone said they had NO creep with it out, but other threads say you might. ??? i'd just keep a brick handy. I'm not sure how long you can run it like that, testing for a day or two should be fine, month or two :dunno:

One test is to make slow figure 8's, creeping speed, and if it binds i'm 80% sure its the viscous. The idea is you not going fast enough to lockup the diffs but if the viscous is bad it should still bind. . .if you remove the front drive shaft and the binding is gone i'd be 90% sure its the viscous, i don't know what would happen (or if its drivable) but if you take off the rear driveshaft and put back the front without binding it might make it 99% sure its the viscous (this may cause creep).

Did you also change the front diff. and transfer case fluid? I did all 3, front, rear, and transfer case, and binding has totally stopped.

Did you also change the front diff. and transfer case fluid? I did all 3, front, rear, and transfer case, and binding has totally stopped.

No never got around to front or transfer case. the front looked kinda hard. how is it?

is there any additive for the transfer case. im thinking about changing the fluid. or do i just use the normal ford ATF fluid? thanks

I will admit I had the work done at a shop. No time to crawl around under the truck. Plus, since this is not something that has to be done real regular, like an oil change, I am willing to pay for the service to be done. But I will admit I was amazed at how the binding went away after the fluid change. Truck also is quieter on the highway!! My truck only has 50k on it, so this was the first change for all the fluids.

ok so i removed the front drive shaft tonight. PAIN IN THE A**. nothing like the rear. and all the noises and vibrations and everything stopped. so does this mean its the virious coupling or something in the transfer case? ALSO will it harm it to drive without drive shaft for couple months till i can afford to fix it???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its probably the viscous coupling if the problems went away after the driveshaft was removed.

Driving w/o the driveshaft should not harm anything but again, be careful of the "creep" when parked. So try not to park on inclines and make sure you set the parking brake (assuming they work).

Back