black out tail lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

black out tail lights

00Xplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
i was wanting to black out my tail lights and just wanted to know if it was illegal in any way..also exactly how to do it???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know what jurisdiction you're working out of, but at some level, probably- but subjective for the cops to enforce.

Nightshades is the stuff...

i used a tint spray. i did mine last week. i just taped out the white reverse box, sanded them a little, cleaned em off, took them off, then layed them down and sprayed away. they came out pretty good.

Mmmm it all depends where you live. here in SD California PD is kinda strict about it and they will give you a fix it ticket with a court date on it, trust me i know they made me removed the ones i had and ended up buying a smoke out set out of ebay just like Jason C did.

well i guess ill just go and buy me some smoked lights...dont feel like getting anymore tickets...thanks

Blacking them out completely is illegal where I live. I bought some clear Euro style a few years ago and painted the perimeter black to match and clearcoated the whole thing. I used Bulldog adhesion promoter as a primer, and it has held up good so far. I also blacked out the third brake light since it isn't needed, and the LED'S still show through.

030111184232.jpg

Edit: mine are technically illegal since the reflectors are covered up. I thought only red had to show through, but apparently so do the reflectors. I've been pulled over once in four years and only got a warning.

Back