Blacked out bumpers...thoughts? (pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blacked out bumpers...thoughts? (pics)

FloridaState

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4x4
Hey guys. Got bored so I decided to play around a little bit...I used some Plasti Dip (liquid rubber or whatever) to paint the entire bumpers black, even the chrome. Since the PD peels right off, I figured if I didn't like it no biggie.

I'm kinda meh about it. I don't know if I like it or not...I think it may be too much black.

Oh and I also painted the chrome center caps black as well.

The truck is SUPER dirty, so please bare with me here:

2012-08-15161354.jpg

2012-08-15161435.jpg

2012-08-15161517.jpg

2012-08-15161542.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would've left the center caps chrome to give ti that Crown Vic P71 look.

What did you use to do your rims? contemplating painting mine black.

I would've left the center caps chrome to give ti that Crown Vic P71 look.

What did you use to do your rims? contemplating painting mine black.

Yeah I had them chrome for the longest time...just looking to change it up a bit.

I painted the wheels a couple years ago with black gloss Rustoleum paint, same stuff my dad uses to paint his CVPI wheels (so they don't rust). It holds up really well, and when they're clean, they're actually pretty shiny.

Here's some old pics for comparison (keep in mind these were taken after a wash/claybar/wax):

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

Not a fan of the black center caps or bumpers. Try pulling the black off the chrome parts of the bumper, it'd probably look good with the plastic being black

Would probably look better if you did everything along that body line between the bumpers in black as well.

Would probably look better if you did everything along that body line between the bumpers in black as well.

I was just about to say the same thing.

Yeah it could look good with the whole bottom black...but that's too much effort lol. I think I'm gonna peel it off and leave the chrome as is. I think the all black makes it look cheap, like plastic-y. The chrome gives it a not-so-base-model look.

I'm going to repaint some of the other black trim as it as faded a good bit, but it'll pretty much look like the second set of pictures again...those were taken right after I painted all the trim, waxed and all that so that's probably the best it ever looked.

Thanks for the input guys!

The chrome does make it look fancier. So, I support your decision to go back to chrome. As long as you don't leave it with just the bumpers blacked, I'll be happy :p they just weren't doin it for me.

Just for an example though, I figure I'd post a pic from 2-Stripe's ZAPV thread.

This is truck bed liner, but it's basically the same idea.

2I.jpg

x4

This is truck bed liner, but it's basically the same idea.

2I.jpg

I did that on mine and I love it and get compliments on it all the time. My truck is black though, so it's harder to see from far away, which is fine actually.

Floridastate- are you a trooper? florida i am assuming my the paint job. if so sweet bro. i am going to school to be a police officer. and i am looking at becoming a state trooper.

and i did the same thing this weekend. blacked out my bumpers, grille, panels, and lower half in bedliner. i really like the look.

I think it looks good and did the spray on bed liner too on my bumpers and fender flares and body
photo11.jpg

Your truck looks REALLY good Steeda04SVT.

BTW, do not use the Rustoleum if you live somewhere where the is a lot of sun. I'm in FL and after 3 months that stuff starts to fade. So either spend more and get higher end stuff, or get some spray UV clear coat or some black spray paint that is UV resistant. Call Rustoleum up and ask them what holds up best. Seriously. That's what I did.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rustoleum-truck-bed-coating-862330/#post8148963 This has info on different liners

Your truck looks REALLY good Steeda04SVT.

Thank you sir, it's been a work in progress.

BTW, do not use the Rustoleum if you live somewhere where the is a lot of sun. I'm in FL and after 3 months that stuff starts to fade. So either spend more and get higher end stuff, or get some spray UV clear coat or some black spray paint that is UV resistant. Call Rustoleum up and ask them what holds up best. Seriously. That's what I did.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rustoleum-truck-bed-coating-862330/#post8148963 This has info on different liners

Yeah I used the Raptor Spray on Liner, comes with 4 bottles of liner and a hardner to mix with it and a spray gun to hook up to a air compressor. Have had it on for about 9 months and hasn't faded out here in the New Mexico sun.

I think it looks good and did the spray on bed liner too on my bumpers and fender flares and body
photo11.jpg

There for a minute I thought somebody posted a picture of my truck.

165754_195433777135046_441911_n.jpg

Yeah I used the Raptor Spray on Liner, comes with 4 bottles of liner and a hardner to mix with it and a spray gun to hook up to a air compressor.

You must not be a poor college kid then... that just sounds too fancy for me to afford. haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back