Blend Door Actuator with rerouted vacuum supply line? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blend Door Actuator with rerouted vacuum supply line?

jon244

Reaction score
City, State
Plainsboro, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer V8
96 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition

When I first bought it, the A/C and heat worked. Heat went out about a month later. Mechanic got heat working (see notes below) but a few months later it stopped working again aside from the engine heat from the defrost vents. Then A/C started only blowing hot air.

After some quick googling, came across the common solution of replacing the blend door actuator. Looked behind the glove box and saw that mine was missing altogether. Ordered the part from NAPA, planning to pick up and install tomorrow morning before a long drive in the heat.

Here's the catch: I looked through mechanic notes from when we first bought it and it looks like they may have rerouted the vacuum supply lines and maybe removed the actuator completely? The most recent note says that I need a new heater control valve, is this a better bet than the actuator? See full mechanic notes below.

I figure it's still worth a try to put the new actuator in but I'm wondering if the work they did will likely mean the actuator won't fix the A/C. I don't speak mechanic so I could be misinterpreting completely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Notes when heat only blew out of defrost and was not warm:
BLEND DOOR ISSUE-AFTER SEARCHING, FOUND BROKEN VACUUM LINE IN ENGINE BAY AND VACUUM SUPPLY LINE DISCONNECTED. HAD TO BE DIRECTED INTO THE CAB. WHERE IT ORIGINALLY CONNECTED, WOULD BE TIME CONSUMING TO REPAIR. RAN ANOTHER LINE THROUGH FIREWALL AND SPLICED IT INTO THE VACUUM LINE. NOW BLEND DOORS WORK. HEAT ISSUE- SMOKE TEST AND DISCOVERED HEAT CONTROL UNIT IN DASH IS LEAKING INTERNALLY. THE INTERNAL GASKETS ARE LEAKING AND UNIT CAN'T APPLY VACUUM TO THE HEATER CONTROL VALVE NEED NEW HEAT AND VENT CONTROL UNIT IN DASH.

REMOVED AND REPLACED HVAC CONTROL MODULE WITH A USED PART.

HEAT GETS HOT BUT WON'T GET COLD NOW. NEEDS A HEATER CONTROL VALVE THAT IS LOCATED NEAR THE FIRE WALL. RIGHT NOW HEAT CAN BE ADJUSTED WITH THE FAN AND THE A/C WILL WORK.

Back