Blend door servo/actuator question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blend door servo/actuator question

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
I did a search but did not find an answer.

I pulled the servo/actuator off this weekend as the heat had stopped working.
The shaft moved when I turned the temp control nob but it was kind of jerky in movement.

I also did the nail fix trick as the blend door is broke where they always break.

After re-installing the servo/actuator I had both normal & max A/C which I have not had since 2005 but still had no heat.

I went in the house frustrated & came back out later and started my Mounty and slowly turned the heat control nob & I could hear the blend door making a creaking noise. The A/C was still working so I turned the nob slowly all the way to hot and bam! I had heat again.

I turned the nob slowly back to cool turned the other nob to normal & max A/C and hot air was blowing out again.

Could the blend door servo/acuator be going out as well? My mounty has 183,000 on it & is a '97

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you glue the nail into the actuator arm?

No I didn't because if I did not have the nail in the right possitition I did not want to try & get it out if I had glued it.

I'm also wondering if I did not put the nail far enough down on the shaft.

I found the web site that someone had posted in an old thread & it was not specific of how far down the nail needed to go. I just tried my best to guess by the pictures posted as to where it needed to go.

i remember mine did this until i glued it in, i used crazy glue try using just a dot so u can still remove the nail and if it works glue it permanently

Thank You dynamite. I'll give it another go this weekend.

Back