• Register Today It's free!

Blinking THEFT light...

RangRayy

Reaction score
City, State
Suburbia Hell Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
So yeah yay for ford putting in a little blinking THEFT light to deture thief's from breaking into your car. it didnt phase the people that broke into my car and stole over $700 worth of stuff. *******s. is there anyway to get rid of this light or connect a blinking light somewhere else that makes it look like theres an alarm system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear about this. What did they take? Stereo equipment?

I dont know that if you smash a window, the alarm goes off. I think a handle has to be lifted or the hatch glass handle turned to activate the alarm. So, if a window was busted, they could climb in and not set it off. I may be wrong here.

Ford put the theft light in to show thieves that the vehicle has an immobilizer system called PATS not to prevent items from being stolen inside.

I wouldn't recommend removing the light from the dash, because it also helps in trouble shooting no start problems.

If you want to add an extra blinking light somewhere, go to radio shack and pick up a blinking LED and install it.

yeah the stole my subs and amp and my $370+ motorcycle helmet...? they were amateurs bc they left my wallet and checkbook alone. and they took my $9 bottle of cologne. sheeeeesh haha.

well i wasnt looking to remove it i just wanna add a secondary light so it looks like i have an alarm and just trying to figure out how to wire everything up and i was asking if there was a way to set up with the THEFT light so they both blink at the same time. basically when the car is off.

so does this mean explorers have a factory alarm or what? im lost about it...ha

The PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) prevents the ignition system from turning on unless the code in the transponder key matches the code stored in the vehicles computer. This means the car (in theory) cannot be hot wired or have an un-programed copied key start the car.

You can add another LED to flash with the THEFT light, It would require removing the gauge cluster, and do some splicing and soldering into the wire that sends power to the THEFT LED. Its really more work then its worth. Here is an idea of the work involved.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2160406&posted=1#post2160406

well that is true i remember seeing something about the key having a code in the back of it...

that is alot of work, well i know nothing about l.e.d.s and what not and what to do, how to wire up and etc.
where could i pick up one and what all would i need to add one or two to say the plastic by the windsheild on either side?

well that is true i remember seeing something about the key having a code in the back of it...

that is alot of work, well i know nothing about l.e.d.s and what not and what to do, how to wire up and etc.
where could i pick up one and what all would i need to add one or two to say the plastic by the windsheild on either side?

You need to get the LEDs
http://cgi.ebay.com/PKG200-5mm-Red-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50
Thats a pack of 200, couldnt find any less on ebay. Im sure you can buy a single blinking led at radio shack

If you get those you will also need to solder on a 1/2W or greater 330 ohm resistor. The color code for 330 ohms is orange orange brown.

Then just find a power source. The easiest thing would to just have a switch you turn on when you leave the car.

so does this mean explorers have a factory alarm or what? im lost about it...ha
Do you have a remote keyfob? if so press lock on it twice, and if your horn sounds you have an alarm. Like Gman said, glass breakage won't trip it, but if they broke a window, and opened a door it would go off.

dang that blows big time

Thats a pack of 200, couldnt find any less on ebay. Im sure you can buy a single blinking led at radio shack

If you get those you will also need to solder on a 1/2W or greater 330 ohm resistor. The color code for 330 ohms is orange orange brown.

Then just find a power source. The easiest thing would to just have a switch you turn on when you leave the car.

Why not just use a blinking 12V LED? Why do so many people insist on doing it the hard way??

Do you have a remote keyfob? if so press lock on it twice, and if your horn sounds you have an alarm. Like Gman said, glass breakage won't trip it, but if they broke a window, and opened a door it would go off.

Uuuuh, not exactly... It's not an 'alarm' in the traditional sense... None of the stock Ford systems are a conventional alarm. As mentioned earlier, the blinking LED is an indicator of the PATS system status as well as the perimeter alarm. However, that perimeter alarm only sounds the alarm if the perimeter is breeched by opening a door. It does nothing to protect against a smash-and-grab. Set the 'alarm', then break every window on the Explorer. The alarm will not sound until someone grabs an inside door handle and pulls it to open a door, or until someone hits the unlock button.

i don't even have a factory security system or a security system of any kind and i still have the flashing theft light

Yes, you still have the PATS anti-theft system and the perimeter alarm. Roll the window down, hit the lock button on the door, (the theft light should light up steady), exit the vehicle. Watch the THEFT light until it starts blinking (about 2 minutes). Reach through the open window and pull the door handle. I'd bet dollars to donuts that your horn will honk and the lights will blink until you insert the key in the ignition.

Uuuuh, not exactly... It's not an 'alarm' in the traditional sense... None of the stock Ford systems are a conventional alarm. As mentioned earlier, the blinking LED is an indicator of the PATS system status as well as the perimeter alarm. However, that perimeter alarm only sounds the alarm if the perimeter is breeched by opening a door. It does nothing to protect against a smash-and-grab. Set the 'alarm', then break every window on the Explorer. The alarm will not sound until someone grabs an inside door handle and pulls it to open a door, or until someone hits the unlock button.
I never claimed the Explorer had a "traditional" alarm. I also stated that glass breakage wouldn't set it off. I also stated it would go off when they opened a door, so Uuuuuhh exactly.

I never claimed the Explorer had a "traditional" alarm. I also stated that glass breakage wouldn't set it off. I also stated it would go off when they opened a door, so Uuuuuhh exactly.

Wouldn't a conventional alarm also go off if the handle is pulled from teh outside? The OEM alarm won't. Don't most (if not all) aftermarket systems use a shock sensor or glass-brake sensor to detect glass breakage? Not the factory system. That was my point.... It's not like a conventional alarm... Guess I wasn't clear on that. Wasn't intentionally disagreeing, just trying to clarify... my bad.

I'm so glad i decided to read this thread! I always just hit the lock button once because i thought the honk was just to confirm that it's locked. Awesome!!

I'm so glad i decided to read this thread! I always just hit the lock button once because i thought the honk was just to confirm that it's locked. Awesome!!

It is. The PATS system is set whether you use the fob, the lock button on the door, or the key in the door lock. They all set the perimeter system and activate the PATS.

Back