blown speakers - give me a break! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

blown speakers - give me a break!

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
hey all,
I upgraded my stock H/U to a Sony Xplod 52Wx4(i know, i know - save your comments - i bought it when I was young and stupid and transfered it from my wrecked carolla to the x when i got it) and after getting fed up with the stock speakers, I decided to upgrade to the Rockford Fosgate 2-way 6x8s @60W RMS($53/pair incl shipping) Well, after I had my first pair installed for like a month, the pass side one started sounding blown. I removed the door panel and sure enough, there was a tear on the surround about half the length of one side(can I maybe toss a thin layer of epoxy on this to keep it together, or would it not sound right?). So about a year and a half later, I ordered another pair. Now these ones sound blown too! Weird thing is, I looked at it(the first one that i actually blew was the drivers side - the new one that is having a prob is the pass side.) and it LOOKS fine. I moved the cone a little bit in and out and the surround and voice coil look fine. What gives? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it trim-related (like some trim hitting the speaker cone), or do these speakers just suck (r/f is generally regarded as being pretty good) Also, when installing the rear speakers, I noticed the surround for both sides was COMPLETLEY gone.I also noticed that on the back of the enclosure there are holes that expose the rear of the speaker to the interior of the door where there is potential for moisture. Has anyone used some Dynamat in here to keep out the water, and does it work? More importantly, does anyone have any extra dynamat that they would be willing to donate so that I can see if it DOES help? This is really frustrating, but at least it still sounds 10x better than with just the front blown speaker. I might just rotate the 2 blown speakers to the back and move the 2 undamaged ones up front so that I can have decent sound when I adjust the fader. But what gives with my speakers blowing so darn quickly?! and oh yea, I did bypass the factory amp and ran speaker wire straight from the H/U to the speakers, so its not the amp.

Well, all I can offer is that I had like problems with the rockford coaxial 6x8"s...

Back a couple years ago, when they were the frc6x8"s, I bought 2 pairs, front and rear, and wouldn't you know, the tweet on one died, and one of the speakers on the back pair had the same prob.. so I turned them in for warranty, I was running off deck power at the time, so I upgraded to an external amp, maybe the internal one was crap, putting out clipped/distorted watts? Wouldn't you know I went through another pair of those junk speakers... Those were the last rockford junk products that I owned...

Try another company IMHO....
I have ma audio hard kore 6x8s all around for now, off a ma amp, I'll tell you what, I'm very impressed with the midbass and kick from these puppies! But they like power from what I've found though, so If you plan on running from your deck maybe look into a high sensitivity driver, infinity, polk, and many other companies make some good coaxes....

i got some Kenwood 6x8"s 3 ways ill sell you :D Check my Forsale thread(link in Sig)

Sorry bout your luck though....

wow, and to think i was going to buy some RF speakers for someones car... not anymore!

id say go infinity... good sounding speaker, and not too expensive

Back