Boggers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boggers

I'm looking at a set of 33x14-15 set of boggers of my explorer. Currently, I have a 4in sky jacker lify and 31x10.5-15 BFG All Terrain's on my stock Wheels. I'm gonna do a 3in body lift shortly to make room for the Boggers. I was told they create alot of wear on the ball joins. As well as I'm unsure of what offset I should do? I prefer to not cut anything but if it must be done to fit these tires, then so be it. I'm looking down the road a few months to change my gears out. This I'm unsure of, but I'll figure that out later....Hopefully someone can help me, Thanks.

------------------
91 Sport 4x4
31x10.5-15 BFG All-Terrain's
4 inch Sky Jackerlift
Warn Manual Hubs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I put a 2" Body lift on after lifting the suspension 2.5", I tried to go with a set of TSL-SSR's in 33"x12.5R15. They did not fit, rather they filled the entire wheelwell up. WIth Boggers, I am aware that they are 14.5 inches in section width. This is massive, so plan on having plenty of wheelwell space for these meats to clear.
I plan on going with the 33 in. SSR's after I add a set of 1.5" coil spring spacers
to my Rancho suspension. Maybe then, I'll go with different gearing (I now have all stock gearing - 3.73). My 4.0, 5-speed Ranger has no problems turning the 32" TSL-SX's, but I want the slightly better clearance and better on-road traction that the SSR's will provide.
Maybe if I were you, I would add Rough Country Coil Spring Spacers, along with your 3" body lift. THen, you should have the clearance you're looking for with those Boggers!
-Ken Cooke
2.5" Rancho susp system
2" Performance Accessories Body Lift
32" TSL-SX's
K&N Filtercharger

Well, I'm looking into a set of custom shackles for the rear and the coil spring spacers in front....I'm hoping to have about 7 1/2 inches of total lift. With that I think I should be able to clear a set of boggers. My only worry is how fast will the ball joints wear and what would I want for backspacing?
-Pete

------------------
91 Sport 4x4
4 inch Sky Jackerlift
Warn Manual Hubs

What I do know about backspacing is that the closer you go to stock, the less stress will be placed on your wheel bearings and ball joints.
When I bought my girlfriend a set of Mickey Thompson II's for her Jeep, the rims came with 3 1/2" backspacing. Her stock steel Jeep rims had 5 3/4" backspacking - this made the rims tuck everything close, up under the stock fenders. With the new rims, the wheels pushed everything out farther away from the fenders - get it?
On my Ranger, the stock rims rubbed the Radius arms, but did not affect wheel bearings or ball joint life - that was running 31's. Now, with 32's and AE 589 15x8" rims, I have hardly any tire rubbing on the huge Rancho radius arms. My ball joints last about a year with good offroading taken into account. Ask yourself what do you want - 31's and no side effects, or stylin' Boggers, possible interference and ball joint wear. I'd go with the Boggers since they work wonders off road. Good luck!
-Ken
---------------------
'94 Ranger XLT 4X4

Thanks Ken.
Yeah, I get the backspacing....Right now with 4 in of suspension lift I have no rub what so ever on my radius arms. So now the saving begins for a wicked set of Boggers. Thanks again, Pete

------------------
91 Sport 4x4
4 inch Sky Jackerlift
Warn Manual Hubs

I have 35x16 15 boggers there great wheeling tires but they did wear out my ball joints in a hurry and to get the amount of lift to clear them i can never seem to have it properly aligned so in comes a straight axle dana 44 with chevy truck front leaves so if ball joint wear is going to be a concern just dump the ifs now and save you some money in the long run.

Well, my ball joints already went out and I got new lower ones now. So I don't know how they'd wear with the boggers on em. I know I wouldn't always drive with them on the street, only when I'm showin her off.....

------------------
91 Sport 4x4
4 inch Sky Jackerlift
Warn Manual Hubs

This might be to late, but I wanted to let you know that i'm running 33" 14 boggers with the 5.5" superlift, coil spacers in the front. I did rub a little bit in the front with just the lift, but after lifting it a little more with the spacers I had no rubbing. So you should be fine with a 7" lift.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Oknut (edited 05-06-2000).]

Pete,

I've got ultra 10" wheels. I'm not sure what the off set is. But they are the 5 spoke ones. I will try to send you a picture over your e-mail.

Take care

Your e-mail address isn't in your profile, if you don't wanna post it on here, then just send me an e-mail and i'll reply.

My Email address is Mournreign@aol.com If ya could send me those pics, that would be great.
Thanks,
Pete

Oknut-
On your set of boggers, what is your off set on your wheels and what kind do ya have? This would be the last info I really need....If ya have pictures, I'd love to see em...Thanks,
Pete

------------------
91 Sport 4x4
4 inch Sky Jackerlift
Warn Manual Hubs

Pete,

With 7" of lift you would be able to fit 35" 14.50" boggers. After you get the 33's you are gonna want bigger tires. Trust me, because I do.

Jay,
How tough are ya when ya off road?
How do the boggers wear on the street?
Are they worth it or should I get a set of Swampers?
Are they really bad on the street by the way of handling?(you said they are bad in the rain?)
And you say they rub when articulating? Is this with a set of 33's? Cause that is the biggest I'd run.
Thanks,
Pete

------------------
91 Sport 4x4
4 inch Sky Jackerlift
Warn Manual Hubs

I am running the 33x14 boggers on my Explorer. I have the Superlift 5.5" and a 3" body lift. I have the tires mounted on Centerline H/T 15-10 rims with 3 3/4 backspacing. I f you go with the Boggers you may be able to fit the 35" ones with your 7" of lift but only on the street. You will most likley rub off road. I can fit 37" tires on my Explorer, but my boggers rub (and bend fenders) when articulating. I have not had any problems with ball joints wearing out, but wheel bearings go bad faster. They are awsome tires on the trail. On the street they vibrate durring acceleration, and even worse durring braking. The are loud at speed (but I don't mind) and they are real slippery on wet roads. They also break axles fast. Including this weekend. I have gone through 4 rears (ABRs)and 2 fronts (1 axle 1 ARB) My engine may have been a contributing factor to this though). You can see pictures of my Explorer on this board. They are under the Los Coyotes run and the Truckhaven run, and probibly will be sone when people start posting the MOAB run. Just though I should share what I have learned.

JAY

Hey Pete,

If you get the boggers, you shouldn't be worried about what they do on the road. Boggers are made for offroad, it's the most agresive tire that you can get. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

As for how they wear on the street. I wouldn't take it on long road trips, neither would I use the explorer as my daily driver.

You were asking if they are worth it, hell yes. These tires will take you places that the regular mud tire will never go. I can go more places then my buddy can and he's all locked up.

Your aslo asking if you should get swampers, boggers are swampers. You could also consider getting the Swamper tsl sx. Just don't get a radial if you are wanting to do good offroad.

I think they handle good enough for city driving, but not at high speeds, I even like the way they sound. Any tire will rub when you articulate, if you are worried about this, just trim your fenders. One more thing that I don't like about the 33's, is the lack of clearence, I have gotten stuck a few times in deep ruts. But that is also because the IFS.

The bogger is the best overall tire you can get for offroading, that's all there is to it.

Oknut

I agree with OKNUT, Boggers are great off road but if you are using your Explorer as a daily driver you should really buy another set of tires for the street. Boggers wear very fast on the street, I can drive confortabley at 85 on the highway, they handle good on dry raods.
Running a set of Boggers has its advantages and its faults, you will need to decide for yourself if it is worth all you give up to run them. I personally love mine, but my Explorer is not a daily driver, it is more of a toy and I don't have to put a lot of street miles on it.

Guys-
Thanks for the info. By far I know that the boggers are the ultimate tire off road. I think they rule and look sweet. The unfortunate thing, is this is my daily driver. If I wanted I could drive less than 20 miles a day on it, but I still don't know that it is worth it. I am up now between a set of these and a set of swamper tsl sx's. I'm pretty sure they will handle and wear better on the road than the boggers. It is that or get a set of boggers and throw those on for muddin and showin it off...and then another street set of mud terrains....Which do ya think is better?
Thanks,
Pete.

------------------
91 Sport 4x4
4 inch Sky Jackerlift
Warn Manual Hubs

Pete,

If I were you, I would go with the 35" 14.50 bogger. A friend of mine got 21 k miles out of his set of 38" 11.50's, but he doesn't do much driving on road. Something else that you could consider is to get another car as your daily driver. Some cheap geo, lol..

You could also get a second set of tires/rims. but that's costly. It's up to you, i'm just saying what I would do.

Oknut

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally if I would not get the 35" Boggers unless you really aren't going to do alot off road. I have 9" of lift and still rub hard under extreame articulation with my 33" Boggers.

As far as you truck being a daily driver, you will need to make that decision your self. I run different tires on the street, but it all depends on what you can afford. The Swamper TSL SX are good tires for on and off road so that is always an option also.

JAY

Back