• Register Today It's free!

Bottom Line on AWD

GBock

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'09 Limited AWD
I just signed on an '09 Limited AWD. I wanted 4WD, but I couldn't find the other options I wanted with the 4WD so I compromised. I've searched the threads, but I don't have a clear picture of what AWD REALLY is in the explorer.

Is it full-time AWD? Meaning is power ALWAYS going to all 4 wheels? Or is it RWD until the rear wheels start to slip, then power all 4 wheels?

There's the option to have AWD in AUTO mode, or LOCKED mode. From the owners manual I gathered that LOCKED is probably powering all 4 wheels all the time which is what I'd want in snow/ice/sand conditions. If that is true, what is AUTO?

Finally, what do I need to know about driving with AWD? I don't plan on doing any serious off-roading/mudding, but I do often drive on back country/dirt roads often.

Thanks in advance! you guys rock!
GBock

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what i know its like 2x4, but when tires are slipping, it puts power to the fronts, ive never really been a fan of it, it prevents you from doing ALOT of fun stuff lol

ALSO! Locked, is like having 4x4, so yeah all 4 wheels are spinning, Auto, is what i said above.

From what I understand it is Control Trac with no low range. It is not like the AWD on older models where it was a solely mechanical box. I prefer the older style because it is smooth and reliable. The electronic is a little jerky.

From what I understand it is Control Trac with no low range. It is not like the AWD on older models where it was a solely mechanical box. I prefer the older style because it is smooth and reliable. The electronic is a little jerky.

I've heard good and bad about both, and this is why I avoided AWD all together. I've had an awful experience with my X-Type and transfer cases, and since I'm in the south I don't have the winter weather to worry about.

The less moving parts, the better.

What seems to differentiate AWD from 4WD(auto) is that with AWD the fronts are engaged full time (at varying levels based on traction) and with AWD there is no 4WD lo range available.

With the 5.0 and 4.6 2v a mechanical AWD transfercase was used. There is a liquid filled coupling inside. When there is slippage the liquid heats and becomes a near solid applying power to the front wheels. There is not electronic sensors involved in this. There is no low ranger of way to lock all 4 wheels together. It is a very smooth engagement.

Both should have around a 30/70 front/rear split at all times. At least the mechanical AWD does. You get very used to having this there as I drove my friend's last night with Control Trac disabled and it was a little interesting at times. I love my AWD! :D
The 4.6 3v got an electronic transfercase which is basically like the Control Trac box but without low range. A series of electronic speed sensors detect wheel slip and apply current to an electronic clutch in the transfercase to engage the front wheels. This system is a little jerky but can lock all 4 wheels together.

The 4.6 3v got an electronic transfercase which is basically like the Control Trac box but without low range. A series of electronic speed sensors detect wheel slip and apply current to an electronic clutch in the transfercase to engage the front wheels. This system is a little jerky but can lock all 4 wheels together.

Are the fronts engaged at all if there is no slip and it is not locked? So far so good with my 3v AWD. Gas mileage is ~15mpg with less than a half of tank used so far (only had it since Saturday) in heavy city driving. Just to try it out, I locked the AWD but couldn't feel/hear any difference on the road. I guess I'll really have a good idea of how it feels/sounds when I get the rear wheels to slip but I'll have to find some good dirt to do it since we're done with ice/snow for a while.

There's always a little power going to the front. It may not be as much as 60/40. Do not lock it on dry pavement. You will damage the clutch in the transfercase. Only do it on slippery surfaces such as snow or gravel/mud. Should be able to get it to slip on dry pavement. I can get a 4 wheel drift going in the wet with my parent's '07 with Control Trac.

are you sure the 5.0 have fluid couplers. my 98 is driven full time - direct. there is no coupler in my transfer case. i can squeal in front inside tire leaving a corner with light throttle. but i don't notice any increased tire wear. and i do check tire pressure very regularly.

i do remember the original awd eurostar's had the fluid coupler

are you sure the 5.0 have fluid couplers. my 98 is driven full time - direct. there is no coupler in my transfer case. i can squeal in front inside tire leaving a corner with light throttle. but i don't notice any increased tire wear. and i do check tire pressure very regularly.

Yep, you do.
Check it out.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransferCases.html

Squeal the front tire? Hm... I can't even do that... might be a possibiity that your coupling is seized..?

Back