• Register Today It's free!

4wd Or Awd

BOATRDAV

Reaction score
City, State
BARTLETT ILLINOIS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8
I am stuck between ordering a Eddie Bauer or the Premier Mountaineer. You seem to get more equipment with the Mercury for the same money. The only difference I see is the drive train one is 4wd and the merc is awd. For everyday use and boat trailering is the merc awd system adequate with having no intentions of going off road. Is it good in the snow and when it goes into awd do you know it is in awd. My 99 explorer has the v-8 and 2wd with limited slip and was great for towing but now we have a bigger boat and could use some more wheels turning to pull out of a wet ramp. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have AWD and as for using it in the snow its awesome. I also tow often with it and it has also been great for that. As for it going into awd it always is in.
Myself I am planning on swapping out my AWD to 4x4 but I offroad often.
Sounds like what you need it for, AWD would work well along with the x-tra equipment.
However you may eat a little more gas and wear more tires with the AWD setup.
Hope that helps
Good luck!
JIGA

Dave you will be just fine with the AWD. I had a '96 Explorer 302 V8, an '04 Mountaineer Premieer AWD and now an '06 Mountaineer Premieer AWD. The great thing about the '06 is that you have the capability to lock it into 4WD if the need arises. It works great either way you use it.

Back