• Register Today It's free!

Bought an 88 Ranger need Help

wantedexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Jay, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer V8
Alrite i picked up a 3rd project its a 1988 ranger with the 4 cyl. 5 spd 4 wheel drive. ( 86,000 miles) naw i dont plane on doing any major wheeling with it infact i think ill let my girl drive it most the time.
i have a couple q's.

1st.
I heard that Stock explorer front springs will lift the front of this Ranger 2"s is this true? and if not where would i be able to find some 2" lift springs?

2nd
i have a Body lift for a 1 G. explorer, can i put this on my new toy also?

Any help guys? thanks..

Allan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure if the explorer springs will lift it (kind of doubt it really) but pretty much anywhere you could get 2" lift springs for your explorer you should be able to get it for your ranger. As far as the body lift on a ranger you need 12 pucks to lift it. From the explorer bodylifts I ve seen the pucks looked the same you may need some differnt bolts though. The steering shaft on the ranger is differnt then the explorer on the 3" body lifts for rangers they come with an extention for that. Also the bumpers are different so you will have to use diffeernt brackets to lift the bumpers to match

the Explorer springs are a bad idea, if you want to lift the front slightly go withthe F-150 spring seats, they will give you 1-5/8" lift, keep the same spring rate, and you will still be able to align it. then in the back you can run a block or shackles.

88 is a GREAT year for the Ranger.....

only problem with the *shackle or block* idea is that in Maine both are illegal. to modify it on those ways and i heard that the explorer rear leaf springs will lift it 2"s wich is a pretty easy swap.

i also work at a garge where i can use spacers or w/e for allignments thats why i was asking about the springs do u know if those will work?

I am sorry but the explorer rear leafs will not get you any lift at all, trust me. They are the same length leaf spring as your ranger, but they are alot stiffer. If you want a crappy ride then install Explorer springs. The only reason you would see any lift from explorer springs is because they were deisgned to handle more weight and your 88 springs have sagged.

Your best bet is to get some new leafs and if you want lift buy them for your application, but keep the same spring rate as stock IMO.

the Ranger came stock with blocks and shackles so I have no idea how those could be illegal.

Add a leafs are not a good idea either, they are way to stiff IMO.

F-150 spring seats up front, and Ranger STX or high rider stock blocks in the back will get you the lift you want, its cheap, they are all Ford parts, and there is no way its illegal to lift your truck in this manner. You see the Ranger STX came with a factory 2" lift.

im saying like an after market block lift is illegal as if i was to use non ford OEM parts liek i say i went out to pep-boys and bought there 4" lift blocks that would not be legal here.. i dont get it either where one of the stupidst lift law states,we are one of the hardest. nothing at all with ABS can be moddified in anyway, tire sizes on any vehicale cant be changed. its stupid but we find ways around it.

thanks for all ur help :) 410 Forutne

I would have to move or go to law school
:)

I have an add a leafe on my ranger...works out grate..and i know some one that has f-150 blocks in the back of his ranger...gave him about an extra inch lift...got away with it on his truck.....and also the main e lift laws are stupid...but i dont have any abs so i am lifted a happy 3 inches...and the tire law is very stupid...and i am running a happy 32 inch tire!!!!!!!!and havent gotten in trouble yet!

Back