• Register Today It's free!

brakes acting funny

Iggy flywheel

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited
Hi Ho I got a problem with my brakes the peddle feels good when I push on the brakes quickly. If I push on them gently at first then apply them harder the peddle travels long way to the floor. There is not much resistance to the peddle. I had the front brake pads replaced year half ago. It doesnt do it all the time either. If I pump the brake peddle it feels better. She got 69.000 miles.

I added brake fluid yesterday to the max line.

bleed brakes little bit didnt hear any air in lines did feel better at first. The fluid looked pretty dark.

I check for vacum leaks to booster and did the test in the hayes manual for bad booster. There is a recall for 94 explorer booster dont know if it was changed.

checked the master cylinder for leaks.

I have not checked the back brakes for adjustments. Tryied adjusting backing up plying brakes hard serveral times to adjust.

Did read about adjusting booster rod but have not done that yet.

Thanks for any help offered.

I sort of have the same type of question also. My wife was driving her car this weekend, had to come to a stop, her pedal went to the floor. She pumped a couple of times and they work fine again. She has a 94 cavalier, I checked the brake fluid/level looks fine, checked her vaccum line/no cracks, checked for leaks/everything AOK. Her ABS light seems to be coming on periodically, which does in fact mean that her ABS is not working, I have slammed on the brakes and they do lock up. Please help if you can.

From the description it sounds like both of you are experiencing problems with your ABS control valves.

Is that usually an expensive fix?

Back