Brakes are making a strange clunking sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes are making a strange clunking sound

XLoudFN97X

Reaction score
OK, this morning on my way to work everything was fine until I got to the parking lot (well not really, I got caught in traffic b/c of a major accident and had to haul A$$ the rest of the way, was still late :mad: ). Anyways, upon starting my turn enter my spot, I heard a single "clunk" as I depressed the brake pedal. I HEARD it but didn't think much of it. Well, on my return from work I noticed it making this "clunk" everytime I press down on the brake pedal.. Turning doesn't seem to get it to happen, but pressing the brake pedal down with any force (slamming down or easing on the pedal) and while at any speed (2mph to ~90mph) makes a single "clunk" from the front end, like something shifting and knocking against something. If I press the pedal 3 times, I get a "clunk" each time. I changed the pads & rotors about 5K ago and they've been fine, and braking performance seems consistent. Changed sway links a little less than 1K ago, they look in good shape, too. Anyone had this happen before and/or got any good ideas on what this could be? I'll be around if you need any additional info or anything. Thanks-
~stu

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

forgot to mention it's definitely at the front end somewhere...

make sure all the bolts are tight on everything.... does it pull when this clunk happens? think it might be the torsion bar adjusters?

no, no pull. I'm about to go remove F wheels and inspect the calipers/rotors and bearings. I've been searching a little and have come up w/ tie rod problems, u-joint problems, and slip-oke problems. What and where the heck is a slip yoke? how do i inspect or grease this?

It's the splined part of your driveshafts that will have a rubber boot and clamps around it....it allows your driveshaft to stay in one piece but still slide as needed. I had a clunk sound in the rear of my vehicle which I fixed by greasing the splines, but I could definitely tell it was coming from the rear. I havent heard about anyone having a clunk from the front driveshaft.

yea thanks i think that hint helps me eliminate it being a spindle yoke problem. I'll keep you posted. I'm betting the caliper loosened a bit and is sliding around

dsc03055.jpg

03055boltcrop.jpg

there's the culprit! That's one of the caliper bolts (the bottom one) from the inside of the control arm. It had worked itself loose enough for the bottom of the caliper to slide about 1.5-2mm or so when the pads gripped the rotor. I guess it happened since I did the brakes last b/c I didn't use a threadlocker. A little loc-tite on that sucker and it isn't going anywhere now! :D

~stu

What a small world...I heard some rattling in the front of the vehicle on the weekend and just finished tightening my lower passenger side caliper bolt with generous amounts of loc-tite...problem solved. Even with loc-tite that bolt comes loose every 20,000 miles for me.

Back