• Register Today It's free!

broken(?) e-brake cable

saxon

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
Recently bought a 1993 EB 4WD for parts. Left side frame rail is currently on jack stands, right side wheels are both blocked while I am pulling transfer case and transmission. Obviously, I applied the e-brake after letting X roll against the wheel blocks.

While removing the drive shafts on day two I noticed that the e-brake cable was hanging loose.

Thank god I had blocked the wheels.

The e-brake cable has two connectors(?) as it runs along the left frame rail. It looks like an 'end' of cable pulled out of one of the connectors. Is the cable supposed to run all the way through the 'connectors' (in which case I guess I should call them a "guide") or are they actually a means to connect separate ends of the cables?

If they are connectors, is this something that can be fixed? I want to part-out the '93 in a few months and I would prefer that it not roll away by itself prior to that time. I'm not keen on installing a broken transmission from my 1991 and a transfer case just to keep the X in place; seems like a lot of extra work.

How hard is it to replace an e-brake cable? I hate to buy one for a car I want to get rid of but that seems like the most likely solution.

Does anyone know of a schematic of the e-brake system? I would like to see a breakdown of the pieces.

Back