Broken Sway Bar Link Bolt Symptoms? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken Sway Bar Link Bolt Symptoms?

ggaarryy

Reaction score
City, State
new york, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 eb
2000 explorer with 150k...Steer vibrates violently from about 45 to 70 mph. When I pulled the wheels off to inspect, I noticed that both sway bar links were broken off at the top.

Question, aside from other usual culprits for steering vibration...can broken sway bar links cause excessive vibration like that?

thanks very much
gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, the broken links will not cause a vibration, just lots of body roll and poor handling.
Was the steering turned while the engine was off, up in the air? If so the vibration is most likely air in your power steering system. Fords are famous for it. With the engine running, turn the steering lock to lock several times to purge it.

If not, then you might have a wheel/tire issue.
Are the wheel bearings tight? Is there any play in any of the front end steering components, tie rods, ball joints ect?

thanks for the quick response! I was hoping that it would be an easy diagnosis with the links. Your suggestions are next on my list, although I hand't thought to try to purge the power steering so I'll try that first -- thanks again!

gary

my98nnj -- thanks again for the other suggestions. I rotated tires front to back to try and eliminate wheel out of balance. Also, purged the air from the power steering (it looks like mud so flushing that is a next priority). Not sure which of the two procedures did it but the virbration is gone!

Did notice a fair amount of side to side play in front tires while I was in there. Can I assume that the broken sway link bars wouldn't cause that either and that it's probably the tie rods?

thanks again,
gary

Can I assume that the broken sway link bars wouldn't cause that either and that it's probably the tie rods?

thanks again,
gary

Yes, and your welcome. :D

Back