Bronco is coming back...to Michigan | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco is coming back...to Michigan

AH SO. software can be a problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gm's 8sp is a nice piece of kit too. incidentally ford partnered with GM on the development/design of the transmissions. the 10sp is an offshoot of the work from the GM 8sp. I find it interesting their choices in gear ratios and use. Ford seems to feel the ecoboost 3.5mill will benefit from the extra choices. I think another 10sp in is the works for paring up to the 2.7 mill.

Gm's 8sp is a nice piece of kit too. incidentally ford partnered with GM on the development/design of the transmissions. the 10sp is an offshoot of the work from the GM 8sp. I find it interesting their choices in gear ratios and use. Ford seems to feel the ecoboost 3.5mill will benefit from the extra choices. I think another 10sp in is the works for paring up to the 2.7 mill.

From what I was told, the 10 speeds are for rear wheel drive, 9 speed that GM partnered with Ford on is for FWD or AWD.

From what I was told, the 10 speeds are for rear wheel drive, 9 speed that GM partnered with Ford on is for FWD or AWD.
That can't be true. It wouldn't make any sense to build a transmission with so much torque capability and only put it on a RWD.

That can't be true. It wouldn't make any sense to build a transmission with so much torque capability and only put it on a RWD.

That's the info I got from inside. So far the 10 speed is in the f150, going to be in the SD, Mustang, expedition, navigator etc (all rwd). It all matches thus far.

Torque capability in fwd? When you have too much up front, you get major understeer and wheel hop. Nothing in the awd thus far needs that kind of trans (Explorer Sport, fusion sport etc). What else is there the is on the larger side that I didn't mention?

Taurus is gone, flex is gone, you won't see it in the escape, focus etc.

That's the info I got from inside. So far the 10 speed is in the f150, going to be in the SD, Mustang, expedition, navigator etc (all rwd). It all matches thus far.

Torque capability in fwd? When you have too much up front, you get major understeer and wheel hop. Nothing in the awd thus far needs that kind of trans (Explorer Sport, fusion sport etc). What else is there the is on the larger side that I didn't mention?

Taurus is gone, flex is gone, you won't see it in the escape, focus etc.

Taurus was gone many years ago but when we re-named it Five Hundred, 40 percent of peeps did not know it was Taurus.

taurus isn't gone - what's the new continental made off of? There might be a redesign comeing down the road - should be by now.

ALso with FWD packaging you don't have nearly the room. the new 10sp trans is rather larger. GM does has an 8sp FWD transaxle - the nice thing being it has a counterpart that is put in the corvette.

I suspect you'll see a ford 8sp or like he said 9sp for the FWD based platforms and the 10sp for only the RWD. not so much because torque but as much about packaging.

All this got me to read up on it.

• So, it has a tighter gear ratio (narrower than other transmissions) -- so it is indeed trading top speed for torque/acceleration.
  • Loss of efficiency is 20% per gear (compared to 25% per gear with the ZF-8). So it's kind of a wash due to having more gears.
  • Transmission tunnel about the same size as the current 6-speed (tiny bit bigger).
  • And it is going on the Raptor -- which is AWD. Because it's a 4x4 and needs it. (link)

taurus isn't gone - what's the new continental made off of? There might be a redesign comeing down the road - should be by now.

ALso with FWD packaging you don't have nearly the room. the new 10sp trans is rather larger. GM does has an 8sp FWD transaxle - the nice thing being it has a counterpart that is put in the corvette.

I suspect you'll see a ford 8sp or like he said 9sp for the FWD based platforms and the 10sp for only the RWD. not so much because torque but as much about packaging.

Once the Explorer changes platform (next redesign) the Taurus and flex are gone. That's what we were meaning when we said it is gone. They are only producing them because the platform is paid for but they are not going to keep them on platforms change.

I knew the flex was going away - still might get one.

but the taurus is going to get a platform revision is it not? where did you see that it wasn't? there is speculation that it won't but they still sell quite a bit of them and they are a fleet vehicle. However it also underpins the lincoln continental - so that has to either go another revision or die on the vine. which might happen either way.

is the new explorer platform going to be the ranger or is that still more speculation. I have heard rumblings that it will become that but not until some 2019 model year. And with that move to RWD again - which I would like.

otherwise the fusion is going to have to grow a bit more to make up the difference. There is talk of only the continental existing but I think that's a sales pipe dream

I knew the flex was going away - still might get one.

but the taurus is going to get a platform revision is it not? where did you see that it wasn't? there is speculation that it won't but they still sell quite a bit of them and they are a fleet vehicle. However it also underpins the lincoln continental - so that has to either go another revision or die on the vine. which might happen either way.

is the new explorer platform going to be the ranger or is that still more speculation. I have heard rumblings that it will become that but not until some 2019 model year. And with that move to RWD again - which I would like.

otherwise the fusion is going to have to grow a bit more to make up the difference. There is talk of only the continental existing but I think that's a sales pipe dream

Taurus is slated till 2023 but I believe it will eventually go to PIU only. Sales are dropping on the retail side and many depth are opting for the PIU.

Yes I believe the new platform will have the Explorer going rwd. In the UAW contract it states about getting an axle.. the Explorer is currently a trans axle... hint hint..

Back