• Register Today It's free!

Brown Wire Mod

derek_redneck91

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport 4x4
Hello all, new to the site and I wanted to share a success story about the brown wire mod on my 99 Explorer. I read for hours on this mod (literally every thread about it on this site). I know the risks, and even though I'm 20, I'm still not into roasting off $1100 tires or messing up my t-case, seeing as it's my vehicle and I pay for everything! I know there are several threads about this mod, but I'm not asking any quesitons here, I'm merely giving some information for those thinking about doing it.

I had to install a new seat so I figured I'd give it a shot. Once the seat was out I just cut the carpet, and found the connection that goes to the transfer case. There is already a cut in the carpet for the electronic seat control, i just made it longer (cut towards the dashboard) and branched out in a y shape to give me more room. I simply cut the brown wire after the connection that goes towards the transfer case, and soldered in some new wire that runs under the carpet and under the frame of the console to hide all wires, to a lighted switch just above my cup holders (obviously a little modification to the plastic has to be made...no big deal! I grounded it to a bolt holding the metal frame of the console to the body. I used one of the switches that people use for nos (they have a plastic cap that you flip to turn the switch on). All I did was shave off the metal piece on the cap so that I can reverse it. This means that when it is closed, it is on and you can't accidentally switch it off, and when I open it and flick the switch it is off. I can still engage 4x4 high with the switch off, and when I turn the switch off there are no warning lights that come on saying something is wrong. It works just as stated in the other threads. And at night it is interesting to see how much the power for the auto 4x4 is cycled.

I will reiterate though as said in other threads, that doing burnouts, and allowing for excessive wheel spin, is BAD for these transfer cases. Also, you have a "live" front axle anyways, so keeping the switch off has NO benefits! It's just fun to drift around a corner on a dirt road every once in a while :p:

Thanks for reading and I hope this clears up some questions anyone might have had.
Sorry folks, pictures on the camera have corrupted...from the description you can easily tell whats going on under the seat. Will try and get a picture of the switch location and setup.

I have a 95 sport and the bwm really shines on the 95-96 x's. It allows for 2wd low and 4wd hi. I installed the switch in the dash right where the stock fog light switch should be. Tapped into the brown wire behind the stereo. Worked great until chain stretch inspired the manual case swap. Not sure which setup i like more.... Dependabilty vs convienience

I definitely miss the dependability of a manual transfer case, but the auto 4x4 on my explorer is pretty awesome. That and not having to get out and lock in the hubs once you are stuck is VERY convenient indeed. The other night we got a good wet snow storm. Fishtailing down the road from side to side with the 4x4 kicking in when it was needed made for a fun ride. Still different from drifting in 4x4 because you still get some rear wheel spin. But I find that with the switch off I cant go sideways from a dead stop, it shudders from the clutch trying to engage. But I can sometimes do it if im already moving. I usually just leave the switch on.

An update to this whole auto 4x4 and the bwm

When I first posted this I had a bit of fun with the auto 4x4 being on. But after being in an accident I found that the auto 4x4 is quite unreliable if you are in a slide or just going down the road period as compared to 4x4 high. I even found that in heavy snow or slush on the road the auto 4x4 would actually make me slightly lose control in some instances because suddenly there would be pulling in the front end and then nothing. It seems that even with the wheels turned the other way if I am going around a corner the laws of physics just pull me straight. I was better off with the switch in the off position. A side note, with the switch off, my 4x4 high WOULD NOT WORK. The switch needs to be in the on position. Also the transfer case didn't shutter (clutch plates trying to engage) as much as I thought it would. I frequently went around corners sideways without a hint of any force being applied to the plates which is excellent when you like to have fun.

Now that spring is here I have wanted to drastically improve my mileage seeing as it was pretty sh*tty. First to help was a custom exhaust from a 2011 challenger. But I still wasn't getting the mileage I wanted. Thanks to buying a lighted switch (which burnt out after about a month but still retained sitch activity) I knew when the auto 4x4 kicks in.
1) Whenever you accelerate. I mean any time. From a stop sign/light, when you are already going and hit the gas, or even when you just give it a bit of gas to get back up to speed.
2) When there is rear wheel slip
3) Lastly it randomly comes on just for a split second wile driving
So what I did was turn my switch cover around so that when it is closed it is in the off position. I then proceded to drive it for a few weeks. I noticed significant acceleration smoothness, and better acceleration. No transfer case shutter happens even under heavy acceleration. Even with wet roads I was sometimes able to get the rear end to kick out without shutter 95% of the time. Now enough of having fun let's talk fuel economy. Im going to do this in both imperial and metric for you US folk. Sadly enough I understand mpg better than my stupid L/100KM. FAIL! Anyways I saw a DRASTIC improvement in fuel economy. Before i turned the switch off I was getting maybe 375km (233miles) from a tank. My 2dr sport has a 19.1 gallon (73L) tank. Now I never ran it out of gas so let's say I used about 70L or 18.5 gallons. This means I was getting 18.7L/100KM or a terrifying 12.6mpg. :eek:
With the switch off I am almost getting as much mileage as my old explorer (which had a 23 gallon tank)...475km out of a tank! This means im getting 16mpg and 14L/100km. Still though I know I can get more mileage. My engine isn't running right so I know I can do better with a new engine, plugs and wires and a CAI.

Back