Bug deflectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bug deflectors

JasonF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4x4 4.0
I am considering a Bug Deflector for my new explorer to help eliminate rock chips etc. Does anyone have any pics of one on a 3rd gen? It looks like Bugflector offers a carbon fiber look deflector that I think would look pretty nice. Anyone have this? There are so many on the market I can't tell what the difference is between all of them. Bugflector, bugflector 2, lund avenger, etc etc etc. Or should I just stick to the Ford one? How do these things mount... tape or do I have to drill my hood? Thanks

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i bought the ford one and did not like it.

i thought it was too big and did not like the way it attached.

then i finally bought the low profile lund avenger, standard black color [my x is red]. i like it much better.

it's pretty low and can't really be seen from the drivers seat.

it still protects the hood from all the dam rock chips or in my case covers them.

imo they are worth it.

i got mine NEW from a REPUTABLE E-BAYER.

Xlt-sport, how do the Ford and Lund ones attach to the hood?

Thanks

Jason

I have found that they do little good and definitely cost you in gas mileage.

I have the one from Ford and it does the job nicely. I like the look of it - tastes are different for everyone. The way mine attached was 4 screws in the existing holes under the hood took about 10 min. Look on the websites and catalogues to see pics of what you might like.

I am a second gen but my Lund BugDeflector2 has worked fantasticly.
Other than I hate bug deflectors I love it.

It blends in very well with the hood and you can kinda not tell it is even there.
I got the clear and painted the back side of it black.

BTW, the diference between the deflector and the deflector2 is the 2 exteds around to protect the fenders, the other one just covers the hood and the hood alone.

I have the ford and its pretty low profile, looks great too, I am also not the BIGGEST fan of bug deflectors but it came with my ex from the dealership. Go with what you like, doesnt involve drilling and works

aldive said:
I have found that they do little good and definitely cost you in gas mileage.

Really? I can see where it will definately cause more air damming, but is it enough to really affect gas milage? What kind of numbers are we talking here?

For me not having so many bugs/stone chips in my windshield will be worth the extra gas milage. Plus I like the look.

PPro said:
For me not having so many bugs/stone chips in my windshield will be worth the extra gas milage. Plus I like the look.

i totally agree with you there..
have one on my 1995 and soon will have on on my 2002.
i bought the window air deflectors for my 2002 and soon to install them..

the 1995 has them also and you can acually open the radio and listen to the radio.
Definatly love the look of them..

I have a AutoVent Shade bug shield. Took about 5 minutes to install. Has a few strips of 3M tape and about 5 or 6 push pins that go into factory pre-drilled holes in the hood.

I can post some pics of mine on my '04 if you'd like, just let me know.

Back