• Register Today It's free!

Bull Bar or Brush Guard?

lee2489

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited 5.0
for one of my future projects, i'm planning on getting either a bull bar or a brush guard. i can't decide on which to get and was wanting some different opinions. i've searched for both on here but didn't find a thread comparing the two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it for aesthetics or function? for looks just stick with brush guards/bull bars (i think they're basically the same) but for more on function, go with a custom made one or modify a manufactured bumper to fit your vehicle.

If I'm not mistaken the brush guard comes up and protects the grill and headlights and the bull bar just covers the lower valence and bumper.

Brush Guard
0711071143.jpg

Bull Bar (on a somewhat modified ex)
2197326_166_full.jpg

(nascar113117's ride, he posted it in another thread so I figured he wouldn't mind it reposted for the same reason as it was originally posted. If anyone objects I can remove it. :thumbsup:)

The bull bar serves absolutely no purpose with the exception of holding some lights. It will not protect anything in a front-end collision with another vehicle or animal. Jury is still out about the purpose of a brush guard. Some say it will protect the front end, others say it will just bend the frame where it is attached to the truck. Personally I'm not a fan of either brush guard or bull bar on any second gen, but prefer the brush guard if I have to choose.

yeah, it's definitely aesthetic. i have 2wd so no off roading. thanks for the pics.

Also, I saw a 1-2mpg drop with the brush guard if that makes any difference to you. I doubt you would see any kind of drop with the bull bar because its so small and i imagine light.

yeah, that's one of the things i was considering. i wasn't sure if it would change the mpg. thanks for the heads up.

hmm.. i had virtually no mpg loss when i had my WAAG brush guard on my 97. i took it off while trying to sell the truck, but now that ive decided to keep it till it dies im putting it back on.

I'd say just for looks, if you are set on something up front, go for a bumper like this...
patrolcar.jpg

I couldn't find one on an explorer but you get the idea. Halfway between a bull bar and a brush guard, I think they are usually called push bumpers but I'm not sure. Brush guards are on the same level as car bras to me.

I'd say just for looks, if you are set on something up front, go for a bumper like this...
patrolcar.jpg

I couldn't find one on an explorer but you get the idea. Halfway between a bull bar and a brush guard, I think they are usually called push bumpers but I'm not sure. Brush guards are on the same level as car bras to me.
That's basically the same thing as brush guard without the headlight guard part. In fact if you buy a brush guard usually you can just remove that part of it and get that cop car like pushbar.

Now if you want a cheap one, check out JC whitney I got one for just over 100$, wasn't frame mounted on my 97 sport, had to drill holes in the steel bumper but it didn't bother me because it has the same function mounted there. Plus I've heard if you hit something the frame can twist with something frame mounted.

Back