• Register Today It's free!

Busted seat need replacement

fosgate

Reaction score
City, State
Sioux Falls SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2dr Sport
Pretty sure I busted the frame on my drivers seat. (98 Sport, power drivers seat, gray cloth bucket seat). I looked into the possibility of the latch and the bolt issues don't think it is those as much as the bottom frame. The seat latch is intact and the upper part of the seat does not move. The bottom left rear side of the lower cushion moves up and down and seems the whole seat surface is moving as if the back corner is not secure to the rest of the frame. Adjust the rear height control and it seems to pitch the seat twisting to the left as the right side rises but the left does nothing. I do not recall anything popping but my initial thought is the bottom frame.

Having a hard time finding what it might be for certain without pulling the seat. I'm also having a hard time finding anyplace that has parts, frame or a complete seat if necessary. Can anyone help with this?

Junkyard for a seat. Should pull out the seat to check it out easy to do just 4 bolts and a couple of wire connectors. Slide seat up take out rear bolts then slide seat back take out front bolts unhook electricals and pull out front door.

Pretty sure I busted the frame on my drivers seat. (98 Sport, power drivers seat, gray cloth bucket seat). I looked into the possibility of the latch and the bolt issues don't think it is those as much as the bottom frame. The seat latch is intact and the upper part of the seat does not move. The bottom left rear side of the lower cushion moves up and down and seems the whole seat surface is moving as if the back corner is not secure to the rest of the frame. Adjust the rear height control and it seems to pitch the seat twisting to the left as the right side rises but the left does nothing. I do not recall anything popping but my initial thought is the bottom frame.

Having a hard time finding what it might be for certain without pulling the seat. I'm also having a hard time finding anyplace that has parts, frame or a complete seat if necessary. Can anyone help with this?

Driver's side in our '97 with the upgraded power seats has broken twice, and was able to be repaired each time. First failure was of 2 of the mounting points for the shafts that elevate the front and back. The shafts were spinning on the frame on the left side of both ends, so a quick weld of the ends of the shaft to the frame (after making sure the seat was level) cured that completely. This actually sounds like the same problem you have and is a pretty easy fix if you have access to a welder.

Last failure was actually of the frame itself and one of the seat mounting nuts that is attached to the frame was ripped out of the frame and the frame split at that point. I rewelded the nut to the frame all around and that has held for a number of weeks now, so I am hopeful it will last a bit. Next step would be to replace the seat, though.

=Vic=

Back