Buying a spray gun- which one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying a spray gun- which one?

I would like to do some painting this summer, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which gun to buy.

I would like to spend around $200, but preferably less. I also would like the highest quality gun gor the money. It would have to spray primer, base and clear, as I do not have the money for a separate primer gun.

I also do not have an air compressor yet, and I was planning on getting one anyway, but I would like it to be compatible with the gun I get.

I was looking at the DeVILBISS Finishline III, but I do not know what finish quality it provides.

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have any suggestions? :bounce:

Go to the www.autobodystore.com and post the Q on their forum. Len' place is THE place for auto painting. You will get good advice.

Thanks a bunch. I was searching online for something like that and found nothing. :)

You are welcome. A couple notes. Often a gun will need more air than a home compressor can comfortably deliver - watch your air needs! I ended up with a Sharpe Platinum due to the lower air needs of that gun - it was a little more than your budget (about $275) - but I LOVE it. Does a nice job on clear, especially if you *slighlty* over pressure it.

Where did you buy that spray gun? Are you happy with it? Is the spray pattern good? Sorry for all the Q's, but I would like to hear an opinion on it if I decide to buy one.

EDIT: I think you bought it at www.autobodystore.com because of the price. Have you sprayed primer with it before?

The pattern is very good, and like I said I found out via a post on Len's board that a slight over pressurization helped the clears, and it does. I have not sprayed primers with it - I tend to use my cheapie Harbor frieght SATA knockoff for primer, but I haven't shot a lot in any event. I don't think it would be fair to say that primer was the Platinum's forte - but in my eyes I am extremely happy with it. I didn't buy it from Len at AutoBodystore.com but if his price is in that range I'd deal with him in a heatbeat. Great and honest guy. Willing to answer all your questions, patiently.

Thanks

painter

\99sport\ said:
I would like to do some painting this summer, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which gun to buy.

I would like to spend around $200, but preferably less. I also would like the highest quality gun gor the money. It would have to spray primer, base and clear, as I do not have the money for a separate primer gun.

I also do not have an air compressor yet, and I was planning on getting one anyway, but I would like it to be compatible with the gun I get.

I was looking at the DeVILBISS Finishline III, but I do not know what finish quality it provides.

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks

im a painter at a body shop and all i use are satajet digital II's hvlp they are quite pricey but ive had no problems sprays like a dream... u can get them on ebay for about $375 they retail $595.00 i got mine through my mac tool man for 399.00 a piece

That was the gun that I really wanted to get, but the air requirements were too much for me and I couldn't afford it. I would need to get a bigger compressor too. If I end up doing some serious painting, that will be one I get. The quality is very good from what I have heard.

The DeVilbiss gun you were looking at is not too bad of a gun for the price. I have one and it sprays just as good as some of my more expensive guns.

That is a good thing to know, although I think I am goint to go with the platinum. It uses less CFM. I can't get a large compressor because it needs a 220V source. It is mainly my dad who doesn't want the large compressor. I am all for it.

I use the DeVilbiss gun in my garage all the time. A 110v, 4hp, 20 gal air compressor is more than enough for it.

I am planning on getting a Craftsman 6hp 25 gal. compressor. I guess it will work then. Maybe I will go with the devilbiss, since I can save around $100.

Check the air delivery needs of the gun and the stats of the compressor. Remember a compressor running constantly will put out a TON of water too. I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, just reminding you.

I am very familiar with the water thing. I got my craftsman a few days ago, and I was sanding. The compressor was putting out alot of water. The air temp was cold, and ther compressor was hot. I had water coming out of my sander. I was too cheap to buy a water trap yet, but when I get the gun I will buy a good water and oil separator to keep my paint finish decent. It seems to me that the Sharpe platinum would run better on this compressor, but I have no experience with this stuff.

For 99% of the home users I would highly recommend the platinum with it's low air needs. A 50% duty cycles a good place for a compressor to operate and a 5HP can do it with this gun.. Just because your compressor can output 10 CFM for a 10 CFM gun doesn't mean it's a good match. My advice, Call Len at the autobody store. The gun is slower too, a plus for novices.

I read about it being slow, which would allow me a slower pace, and thus fewer mistakes. I will call him, because he has a very good price on it.

I also read that Sharpe has discontinued that gun and they are just selling the remaining stock, so I will have to act fairly quick. Parts will still be available for another 5-7 years.

The Iwata HVLP 400 series spray gun with a 1.3 tip work great for base coat! And the Sat Jet NR2000's are great for clear coats 1.4 tip if you are slow and like to hammer it on, and a 1.5 if you move pretty fast when you spray, you don't need one with a digital guage but they are nice :smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back