• Register Today It's free!

bypass the radiator trans cooler?

nopistn

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford explorer
So I just got this used 2007 with the 4.6.
The quick connections for the trans cooler lines at the radiator are slowly leaking and it has a separate trans cooler.
What's the point of having both? I could either "rig" the radiator connections or bypass it.
On other vehicles I've had with separate trans coolers they didn't use a radiator trans cooler at all.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It serves 2 purposes. It warms the Trans fluid up to operating temps, and then it keeps it at that "normal" temp while driving. The aux cooler is just to help with cooling the fluid down during towing, or hard driving. On a side note, I eliminated mine several years ago, running the factory aux cooler and another one in series, and never had any issues from that setup, so it's kinda up to you! Good luck with it!

Yeah, I think the in-radiator "cooler" is actually a bulb, surrounded by engine coolant. The engine coolant heat up relatively quick, which will bring your trans fluid up to operating temp quicker. This is very important here in Michigan winters. I don't think the truck will shift out of 4th until trans temp reaches a certain temp.

In Texas, you might be fine. But if you (or a future owner) wants to tow with it, you will have defeated a critical component of the HD towing package. Therefore, I would recommend you get this fixed correctly, and use both coolers.

Yeah, I think the in-radiator "cooler" is actually a bulb, surrounded by engine coolant. The engine coolant heat up relatively quick, which will bring your trans fluid up to operating temp quicker. This is very important here in Michigan winters. I don't think the truck will shift out of 4th until trans temp reaches a certain temp.

In Texas, you might be fine. But if you (or a future owner) wants to tow with it, you will have defeated a critical component of the HD towing package. Therefore, I would recommend you get this fixed correctly, and use both coolers.

This may be correct, but I did read on this forum that the 6r60 has an internal thermostat that would bypass the coolers until it reaches a certain (very warm) temp. That's why they said trans flushes don't work.

Interesting.

Back