• Register Today It's free!

cab light

m3ssic4n

Reaction score
City, State
lubbock texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford ranger
so i have been experiencing my cab light staying on for periods of time before it decides to turn off. also, the stupid noise when the door is ajar is also going on at the same time. i have a 96 ford ranger. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98 ranger, i have a similat problem- light on all the time- door ajar on all the time- have not checked it out yet- just took the bilbs of the light out

so what have you done about the door ajar part? i was gonna take the bulbs out, but it's more annoying to have the door ajar going off. although personally i've gotten over the noise by turning up my radio.

I had the same problem with my '99. I found other threads on the web that said the door sensor was inside the latch mechanism instead of having a door pin like most of us are use to. The problem seems to be a dirty sensor inside the latch that requires cleaning. Like others, I sprayed WD-40 (did not remove panels to do this) into the latch and the problem was solved. I have been good for about 3 months now with no repeat of this annoying problem. Good luck and let us know if it works for you. Joe

i'll have to try that out. thanks for the input MyRanger4x.

Interior Light/Door Alarm

Thanks for the WD40 solution to the door ajar problem. The interior light staying on- I yet to find a solution to.
By the way- anyone know of another cause of hot air only coming from the vent, regardless of setting and/or ac turned on, other than replacing the heater box? $$$ quotes of 700- 1300 dollars

i have the same problem on my 95 ranger, passenger door only..i'll try wd40...as for hot air coming from the vent all the time, you must have a vacuum line problem or something sticking in the cab area...

heres' a fix for ya...i went to spray wd40 and i noticed a rubber pad covering, i believe what is the switch...as i went to turn away i noticed the wheel that rolls over it was coming apart...it wasn't the wheel...apparently this was a fix by the previous owner, electrical tape over the wheel....apparently the reason it was so intermittent was because it wore a hole in one spot of the tape...so, you guessed it...i put new electrical tape on and its fixed...the color match is perfect and i have plenty of tape...just so you know, i did tear apart the inside of the cab to see if i could remove the switch but no luck...no electrical..i'm thinking it's a negative bypass switch, when the switch is pushed it makes a ground to complete the circuit and the tape acts like a spacer to fill in the wear over the years...at least at nite i don't have to wait for the 40 minute automatic lite shut off before i can drive...

Back