• Register Today It's free!

CAI Good Price

watisgood

Reaction score
City, State
LoNg IsLaNd
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Neither, unless you just want the look and/or sound.
The factory intake will draw cold air from behind the headlight.
Both of those intakes draw warm air from inside the engine compartment. How do you consider those cold air intakes?
The first one is only the filter and a bracket to keep it in place. Atleast the second one has a new tube. Keep in mind that the OHV 4.0L doesn't rev high anyway (no power above 4k), and you only need to draw lots of air at high RPMs. The 4.0L SOHC engine revs higher and uses the same basic intake, so it's plenty for the OHV 4.0L.
If you just want a better sound from the intake, remove the "silencer" on the front of the airbox.
For performance, if you think it would help, you could use a drop in K&N filter. They flow better, but don't filter as well as paper filters, and the oil sometimes causes malfunctions with the MAF sensor. My 97 had a K&N when I bought it, and I replaced it with a paper filter. The entire intake manifold was disgustingly dirty inside when the K&N was installed.

Neither, unless you just want the look and/or sound.
The factory intake will draw cold air from behind the headlight.
Both of those intakes draw warm air from inside the engine compartment. How do you consider those cold air intakes?
The first one is only the filter and a bracket to keep it in place. Atleast the second one has a new tube. Keep in mind that the OHV 4.0L doesn't rev high anyway (no power above 4k), and you only need to draw lots of air at high RPMs. The 4.0L SOHC engine revs higher and uses the same basic intake, so it's plenty for the OHV 4.0L.
If you just want a better sound from the intake, remove the "silencer" on the front of the airbox.
For performance, if you think it would help, you could use a drop in K&N filter. They flow better, but don't filter as well as paper filters, and the oil sometimes causes malfunctions with the MAF sensor. My 97 had a K&N when I bought it, and I replaced it with a paper filter. The entire intake manifold was disgustingly dirty inside when the K&N was installed.

Hey thanks Bri for the reply...I am going to take your advise and take off the silencer...ill post some pics once its off...any ideas where the silencer is located or what it look like? Thanks.

Wait a second... I'm thinking of the airbox on my sport trac and ranger... If your airbox is plastic with a rectangle filter, it's in the front. It is where the opening is. It's just basically a smaller opening that smooths the airflow to quiet it down. Twist and pull until it is off. There is probably no advantage to it, other than that it will sound different.

My 97 came with a cone filter, enclosed in a different airbox, not sure if yours is that way or not, mine could be aftermarket.

There is an advantage to it, you pull in a larger amount of air. You can gain a couple hp in some cases, it's been a mustang trick for awhile. Afaik.

I'm saying it's debatable until I see a dyno chart that proves it.
The silencer is also a venturi, which reduces pressure but increases velocity, also smoothing the air out. Could be better, could be worse.
I do have mine removed, but still not convinced it does anything ;)

Guess someone needs to do a test.

Back