• Register Today It's free!

Cam position sensor on 94?

Sphinx

Reaction score
City, State
Mojave, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
I have a 94 xlt 4.0 auto 4x4 and dont see a cam sensor on the back of the intake manifold where a chevy distributer would be located on a chevy block, but yet the guys at autozone insist it does have one. This is a non Cal emissions exploder. I did see the crank position sensor behind the harmonic damper. My cel is on and throwing a 214 code. Which suggest the cmp or ckp. If the ckp was faulty the engine would not start correct? Engine starts and runs fine. Checked all wiring and all seems well. Should I replace the ckp anyway?

Any help would be great, as I am lost on what to look for next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '93 doesn't have one. I'm not sure what year they started with that..

I found out recently, in 94 they started

it is possible early 94 would not have one.

If you do not have a cam sensor you will have a block off plate where the FORD distributor would go if it was a 2.9L :)

Easy to check for the wires and feel for the hold down bolt and block off plate

would this be it here? if so then autozone was right.

How much roughly would it cost to have it replaced?

wow its hard to say from that picture but I am going to guess yes, what COLOR are the wires and are there 2 or 3?

here is a picture of the back of a 97 OHV engine, you can see the sensor
newflywheel.jpg

here is a pic of a 95 and a 97 sensor, so you can see the wiring plug points up on the 95 sensor, and straight out on the 97, I am going to guess your 94 points up just like the 95

camshaftsens.jpg

and yes the 95 sensor is on top in the pic

Look at the pic of the 95 engine, if your 94 has this sucker thats where it sits smack in the middle behind the lower intake manifold

Its expensive to replace because the intake has to come off to get access to it (to pull it out and put it in)

yep thats what it is, just called pepboys. For the part and to install it they want $309 and said it would be done in about 2 hrs.

hahahahahahahahahaha if pep boys can do it in 2 hours I would be thrilled and suspect it wasnt done properly

I recently installed a 97 engine into a 95 truck (where those pics come from)
when I was putting the 95 wiring back in I found I had made a mistake, I forgot to put the 95 sensor into the 97 engine.

So I spent A LOT OF TIME standing in the engine bay (no cooling, no plumbing, etc in the truck yet) working blind to swap the sensors. The upper intake was in place and it took me likely an hour to fish the 97 sensor out.
Then when I comapred it to the 95 sensor and realized I was SOL (95 sensor wont fit 97 block) I had to put the 97 sensor back in.
this took me another 1.5-2 hours and this is with me STANDING in the engine bay, arms wrapped around the upper intake manifold

Now it may be possible to get your old sensor out and your new sensor in in 2 hours but I would sure like to see them do it.

I would also do some testing before I drop $309 at pep boys only to find out the 214 code is still present

What tests could I do. I don't have a scanner. I used the good old jumper wire trick. Its only giving a cm214 code and I keep getting the r538 code on engine running test. I did the engine running test like 7 times and I did it exactly how the book says. But it keeps saying operator error. All the cars accessories are off. I turn the wheel one way a half turn and press the brake pedel within the 2 second limit after the cel gives the cylinder code. Should I spend the 300 on a good scanner first or just hope for the best and let pep boys do there thing?

Is there a scanner that would pinpoint what is wrong? If so could I get the brand and model? Thanks

Back