• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor

Wayne Billing

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Dear Friends: my shop told me today that I needed a new camshaft position sensor. However, when I went to my local parts store there are two types with completely different costs.

I have a 95 Explorer XLT 4.0L 4x4

The sensor itself was anywhere from $73 to $190 OEM CDN. However, the other part that was the "integral unit" which was close to $900 CDN.

However, how do I know which one I need?

I assume the sensor just sits onto on top of the gear assembly of the "integral unit" that fits into the camshaft. However, how do I know please if I need the complete unit or not?

I believe our unit is a seperate one that bolts onto the block near pully, you should be able to see it- or do a search on this site, you are bound to find pics to clear up wich to buy.

Thank you. I found this information for a 96 Explorer. However, again it shows the whole unit and the sensor on top.

The code I received from the shop was that the cam position sensor was not working. However, that was it. So I am at a loss if I need to replace the complete unit. The camshaft position sensor and also the camshaft synchronizer.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl025h.htm

Just do not want to spend any monies guessing at the problem?

Many thanks.

Back