97 4.0 camshaft position sensor location? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 4.0 camshaft position sensor location?

Melisa

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
I have a '97 Explorer with 4.0L SOHC (Vin code E) and I cannot locate the camshaft position sensor. Is anyone able to provide a good picture of what I may be looking for? I have a Chilton repair manuel, but it only provides a rough diagram for my engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As viewed from the passenger's side

Attachments

• cps.jpg
    cps.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 52,618

k, so i have the 97 4.0 XLT
n i'm wondering do i too have the SOHC? n is my sensor in the same location? because my engine doesn't look like that? and i don't think the sensor is there...

i've recently received the error code that my CPS is troubled, n as i look more into doing the job myself the more scared i'm becoming, but i can't really afford to take it to a mechanic, and the more i search around this page the more faith i have in myself.

i guess in short, any help would be much appreciated,

n is my sensor in the same location? because my engine doesn't look like that? and i don't think the sensor is there...
Post up a pic.

There were a few flavors of SOHC configurations but I believe the difference are only in the intake plenum and other minor accessories -- major components (like the CPS) should still be in the same place.

And that picture I posted has the intake and upper plenum removed (which you cant really see until you remove the plastic engine cover that says "SOHC" on it).

Post up a pic.

There were a few flavors of SOHC configurations but I believe the difference are only in the intake plenum and other minor accessories -- major components (like the CPS) should still be in the same place.

And that picture I posted has the intake and upper plenum removed (which you cant really see until you remove the plastic engine cover that says "SOHC" on it).

c1e3305913330.gif

fefcf65913334.gif

8298125913337.gif

45fea75913347.gif

6695185913350.gif

there's a few pics... i feel as if i just did a nude photo shoot
thnx for any help, also i didn't get this truck with a plastic engine cover, i guess they had already lost that

Bump.
I cant find mine also. Cant be a hard fix . Just cant find its location.

I believe its a sohc . Think i found it at the rear against the fire wall.
I keep getting cmp sensor code. Does that refer to just the top , or do i need to replace the whole thing? Thanks in advance.

I believe its a sohc . Think i found it at the rear against the fire wall.
I keep getting cmp sensor code. Does that refer to just the top , or do i need to replace the whole thing? Thanks in advance.

SOHC cam sensor just "senses" camshaft position

ohv cam sensor drives the engine oil pump. 2 complete different devices.

you need to find out which engine you have to go any further.

Back