Camshaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95viper08

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Stevens
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT Custom
Hey all its been awhile since ive been on so im not sure who all is gonna see this im hoping people who can give me some help. My 93 explorer is becoming a huge threat to the local hondas and acuras.

My question is on camshafts - im gonna be installing one in mine this summer. I will be buying a CompCams Camshaft off summit, alot of my friends are using them and have had no problems. Summit offers two different cams - lone says lifters .500/.500 and the other says .465/.500 these im guessing are the specs for how far the valves lift, which would be the better one to go with and what do i need to replace in the valvetrain when i install the new cam?

any help is appreciated and i dont mean to be rude with this comment but please no a-hole comments im here for honest answers and feed back - not for sarcasm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes your are right it is the amount of lift on the valves but what is more important for drag racing i am just guessing that is what you want it for is the duration on the 2 cams lift is always good but too much can damage you valve trian and pistons now my opinion is to go with the .500/.500 270duration you will get good rpm from it and reliable power you might also want to replace your lifters pushrods spring and rockers to be safe while its all torn down and if you want the full potential from your cam then you should also port and polish your heads and lower intake manifold i hope i was of some help let me know how it goes

the .500/.500 is the 422 cam and it needs dual valve springs and the heads to be milled to fit them,its the better more powerful cam.both cams need longer pushrods and the rockers will need to be replaced if they are worn!!

thx guys, im still looking into stuff so i will let everyone know how stuff comes out when its done

jd4242 is ur MAF sensor itself from a 5.0 or are u just using a 70mm tube at that spot?

Just the housing, you use your stock electronics in it

ok thats what i did. hey is tearing into the block to change the cam much work? i just dont wanna get in over my head, ive never torn in to anything like this, im used to straight 4's outta tuners

Yep!!intake,exhaust, heads,everything on the front of the engine, and fan/radiator need to come off! !

hmmmm well ive got a lot of thinking to do then, i dont mind doing the work, its making sure it gets back together right, i need to know someone like u up here in washington whoes done this and would be able to help haha

Its a job and aint cheap!i would swap those heads too if you do all that work

i wanna put edelbrock heads on it but cant seem to find any, im just brainstorming ideas, shes gonna get a tune later on, i dont wanna do full build like you did bc my gf/soon to be fiance isnt gonna wanna drive it and its the only truck we got right now im just trying to have fun without getting in over my head

Back