• Register Today It's free!

can anyone help

filb

Reaction score
City, State
gold coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer uz
I have a 04 explorer 4.6l V8 and have been told they have weak *** transmissions and was wondering what other trans i could put in place of the weaker trans it came with i want to use it for towing a 2.7 tonne caravan or if there was some way of strengthening the existing trans. when it tried to tow it recently it overheated within 15 mins of towing
conf.gif
and just want upgrade so i can tow and an idea of how much roughly it would cost
Or do i just put on two trans coolers in series and try pulling that way any advice will be a great help as i need to be able to pull my caravan
Thanx guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would need to have your transmission built with a shift kit, heavy duty internals, and a large cooler in order to seriously tow. Your best bet really is to get a real pick up truck or suv. At least 1500 duty. Suburban, Expedition EL, Sequoia, etc

What is the gear ratio in your truck?

I'm gonna have to also say you'll want to get a bigger truck if you are doing some towing. The explorers have the horsepower for it but, even if you make the transmission work, you're gonna work it to death.

No, you are stuck with what it has. As posted above, you could upgrade it. Question: do you have the towing package? And get the axle code from the door jamb sticker. If you have 3.55 gears or a 1.25" hitch forget about it.

It all depends on your setup. The max towing you can do is a 2WD V8 with Tow Package which is 7,000lbs (Amazingly! :eek:)

With a V6, no tow-package, and 3.55 rear end, it couldn't be more than 3,000lbs~4,000lbs at most to do it comfortably.

Put a 4.10 differential in it to take some stress off the transmission.

I tow 5000 lbs with my V6 and 3.73 just fine.

I have a trans cooler, aftermarket class III hitch, 7 way connector plug, and brake controller.

1fv69d.jpg

4ibfjr.jpg

So i have the horsepower just not the transmission to tow what a dumbass set up FORD came up with there a V8 with a gutless trans ford U.S.A. got it wrong there it would never happen here down under
well i guess im stuck with a toothless tiger .sad because other than the trans letting it down its a great suv

does anyone know if the ZF transmission will be able to bolt up to the 4.6 ltr V8 thats the 6 spd auto that they use in our falcons and territorys down here just curious if they are strong enough and if they will fit they might even use them in the mustangs over there i dont know

does anyone know if the ZF transmission will be able to bolt up to the 4.6 ltr V8 thats the 6 spd auto that they use in our falcons and territorys down here just curious if they are strong enough and if they will fit they might even use them in the mustangs over there i dont know
@filb
Unless there is miscommunication here, or nomenclature down under is different, ZF is a 5-speed MANUAL TRANSMISSION used in F-Series trucks over 8500 Lbs. GVW. Yes, it would be strong enough (extraordinarily so!) imp

@filb
Unless there is miscommunication here, or nomenclature down under is different, ZF is a 5-speed MANUAL TRANSMISSION used in F-Series trucks over 8500 Lbs. GVW. Yes, it would be strong enough (extraordinarily so!) imp

heh I thought he was referring to the 6 speed auto that comes on 4th gen V8's...no idea on it's name/code...

The ZF down here is a 6spd auto trans with the sports shift system so you can manually shift if you like (semi auto) no clutch i don't know the code either but they are readily available down here being in so many of our ford vehicles falcons territorys even some mondeos all of our FPV,s are available with them but most go for the the 6 spd manual box
hope that makes it a bit clearer but im not sure i guess different cars for different countries no one in our australian forums has an answer for me so i tried yours being that the explorer is more common over there than it is here and you guys seem to have all the knowledge we lack on these suv,s

Back