Can the Spare Tire Frame Bracket be removed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can the Spare Tire Frame Bracket be removed?

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
I am planning an on-board air system and would like to install either a single 10 gal air tank, or two 5 gal air tanks in the spare tire area. Unfortunately the spare tire bracket is in the way and would make the tank sit too low and possibly run into ground clearance issues. I have 33" tires and no longer use the stock spare tire carrier. I was wondering if I can remove the entire spare tire Cross member bracket (not just the winch)? This bracket is tied into the frame with rivots and doesn't appear to be structural (accept too carry the spare).... So as the thread title implies can this bracket be removed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't their a larger cross member directly in front and just behind that one that holds the spare tire?

I'm sure you can remove it and it would be fine. Only thing I'm leery about is the fact our explorers are based off the soft ranger frame. The Explorer body absorbs a lot of twisting that the ranger body wouldn't be affected by, being two pieces. Removing that cross member is going to loosen some of the extra stiffness in the chassis, making more room for the body to twist. Eventually twisting = cracking.

I don’t know how realistic of an idea this is but it might be beneficial to relocate that cross member. It might be probable to move that cross member in a spot like behind your transfer case/transmission, behind the front bumper, or anywhere where you feel extra stiffness is needed.

Well if it is crucial I'll leave it and work around it. I do have a welder and could always remove it and fab up some additional supports which will allow me to fit the air tank and keep some structural integrity...

Creager said:
Isn't their a larger cross member directly in front and just behind that one that holds the spare tire?

I'm sure you can remove it and it would be fine. Only thing I'm leery about is the fact our explorers are based off the soft ranger frame...

The exploder frame is considerably beefier than the Ranger. I discovered this the hard way, when I started building my new suspension. The front is boxed from bumper to motor mounts, and from there back to at least the trans X-member it is double walled C-channel. Not the stoutest, but MUCH firmer than a Ranger, and the steel is heavier and stronger than most "full boxed frames" around (TJ, Suzuki, and other frames made of cheese). The extra width helps as well. I'd remove the stock crossmember, but build a new one to replace it that suits your tank(s). I'm considering stuffing a BII 23 gallon fuel tank up there on mine, I can find room for a smaller air tank elsewhere.

do like i did I have 2- 2.5 gal tanks one on each side of my X mounted on the outside of the frame about centered under the doors... See Pic below.... then mount air compressor on inside of frame... easy....

220181_50_full.jpg

220181_49_full.jpg

Nice clean setup, but the tank location may not be the best location for Off-Road Explorers as the tanks are in the "Damage Zone". Rocks seam to be attracted to Explorer rocker panels :rolleyes: ...

BTW what kind of tanks do you have and how $$ were they? When airing up 33x12.5 tires I need a minimum 5 gal tank (10 would be ideal since I'm often out with several buddies). Reclaiming the spare tire area is a priority since it is currently unused space...

I think they were like 60-70 bucks each... Just thought it was a idea, I am sure wheeling they might not be in the best place.... Good luck... I dont remember where I got them from, I think it was got20s.com but i think there out of business...

DeRocha said:
BTW what kind of tanks do you have and how $$ were they? When airing up 33x12.5 tires I need a minimum 5 gal tank (10 would be ideal since I'm often out with several buddies). Reclaiming the spare tire area is a priority since it is currently unused space...

DeRocha have you considered the aftermarket air tank rear bumpers that I have seen over the years? That would have the rear bumper as an air tank.
I do not know about the capacity of these setups, though. It may not be the 10 gal that you desire...

I would 86 the spare tire mount and when planing your bracketry for your air tanks tie it into the frame to add more support, you'll prolly end up w/more than what you started w/. since it is going from one side to the other i would prolly bolt it in place to save your self the grief of broken welds from twisting too.

Back