Can you paint alloy wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you paint alloy wheels?

I'm getting some used stock alloy rims to replace my rustly steel wheels, and I want to paint them black. Can I paint alloy wheels, and if so, is there any special process I need to do besides just shake can for 1 minute?

Thanks.

Pack, I have seen alloys painted with an Argent (silver) color, and they looked pretty good. If you want the paint to stick well, wipe the wheels down with thinner, and first spray them with primer. Then follow with the color coat.

I also had the steel wheels with the chrome front skins on mine, when I bought it. They were rusting around the rim edge; that's why I went with a set of Mazda alloys. Those steel wheels were not one of Ford's "better ideas".

Alloy Wheels can be painted

You can paint alloy wheels, but I recommend you have them professionally painted. Wheels are prone to take a beating from tire mounting machines, road debris, car washes, rocks, curbs, etc.

The best paint finish is a baked-on factory paint; next would be a professionally shot coating; last would be the spray-can technique. Spray can finish is just never going to be as durable (especially in THIS application) as a professionally spray-painted finish.

I have had several sets of alloy wheels painted body color (I like the monochromatic look) with good results.
The finish will last several years, but will normally suffer some chipping during that time. Here is what my painted Cobra "R's" look like on my Mounty:

1712rr_wheel.jpg

regards,

cobrajeff

Aftermarket aluminum alloy wheels are typically powdercoated, which is way more expensive and way more durable than painting them.

Powdercoaters are typically easy to find, check the phone book. Figure you'll spend $50 to $75ish per wheel. But that gets the wheel blasted, coated and baked. Very tough to chip or crack, easy to clean, you'd probably have about 2.4 billion colors to choose from.

Hope this helps.

Back