• Register Today It's free!

Cannot continue

wudwork

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I have a 2016 Explorer Limited and really like everything about it except for towing. I believed it could pull a 4320lb (camping ready) trailer without too much complaining. Nope. In tow mode, it hits around 4200rpm and wants to stay there while around 65mph. YES, it while climbing decent size hills (Adirondacks in NY state). I have experimented with slowing down to 55 ish and honestly do not feel safe as big rigs have passed me like I was in reverse! I am getting around 19.4mpg around town, without towing, which is right at sticker numbers.

I am trading in for F150 as we will be dragging the camper much more than I ever figured. Really like the Explorer otherwise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2016 Explorer Limited and really like everything about it except for towing. I believed it could pull a 4320lb (camping ready) trailer without too much complaining. Nope. In tow mode, it hits around 4200rpm and wants to stay there while around 65mph. YES, it while climbing decent size hills (Adirondacks in NY state). I have experimented with slowing down to 55 ish and honestly do not feel safe as big rigs have passed me like I was in reverse! I am getting around 19.4mpg around town, without towing, which is right at sticker numbers.

I am trading in for F150 as we will be dragging the camper much more than I ever figured. Really like the Explorer otherwise.
Have you tried running it in manual?

Peter

If you plan to tow trailers, the 3.5 ecoboost should have been your selection IMO

Should have opted for the sport or platinum.

The N/A 3.5L V6 is rated for pulling 5000 lbs with a weight distribution hitch. How many people were in the Explorer. Did you take their weight into account. The engine you have should be able to do the job with little or no issue. In the linked thread there are posts where a member pulled a horse trailer with 2 horses. Estimated total weight - 4900 lbs. (post 49). Another post mentioned pulling 4500 lbs. None of these had the Ecoboost which didn't come until the 2013 model year. Do you have a brake controller installed? With that towing weight I really think you should have one.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152

Peter

The data you are quoting sounds reasonable for towing a travel trailer.

If you read the towing guide, it speaks not only to weight, but also to the frontal area of the trailer. If it's big and boxy, you basically have an air brake behind you, and it's going to take a lot of power to keep it going at higher speeds.

it hits around 4200rpm and wants to stay there while around 65mph.

The transmission programming on the Explorers are as bad as I've experienced. Compared to some of the 8 speeds, the Explorer holds gears and higher RPMs way too long, even with no load. It's a weak point in the drivetrain, along with the PTU.

Peter has pretty much hit on it all...

The N/A 3.5L V6 is rated for pulling 5000 lbs with a weight distribution hitch. How many people were in the Explorer. Did you take their weight into account. The engine you have should be able to do the job with little or no issue. In the linked thread there are posts where a member pulled a horse trailer with 2 horses. Estimated total weight - 4900 lbs. (post 49). Another post mentioned pulling 4500 lbs. None of these had the Ecoboost which didn't come until the 2013 model year. Do you have a brake controller installed? With that towing weight I really think you should have one.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152

Peter

The standard V6 should have enough power to pull that weight. While the EB will provide more power, that isn't really the problem. The problem is the shift points, which even with the sport tune of the EB models, probably won't do much for better towing performance.

Have you tried running it in manual?

Peter

Agree with trying to tow in manual mode without tow/haul button engaged which will allow you to access the higher gears to lower the RPMs. Keep in mind though that lower RPMs means less power or more accurately, you're engine has to work harder/longer to access the additional torque that you might need at any given point. Having quicker access to that additional torque is key while towing. So while you might get the lower RPMs you are seeking by being able to access the higher gears, the trade-off is loss in the ability to access needed torque on the fly.

Personally, I would never tow that much weight with any of the 5th gen Explorer models. While the engine might be powerful enough, there is much more to consider, i.e. tranny, axle ratings, suspension, wheelbase etc. Moving up to the F150 seems like a prudent choice especially if you are going to venture off into longer trips or if you ever decide to upgrade to a larger trailer.

Good luck

Try the 3.5 ecoboost, I have the normal 3.5 in my XLT and I don't believe it could tow 5000 pounds even though I've never even towed with it

The EB 3.5l I have in my ex pulls my 3600 lb boat extremely well. There is a huge difference in pulling power between the na motor and the ecoboost. No way around it. If you are trying to pull a box thru the air that weighs even 3000 lbs, the n/a v6 and transmission are both going to protest especially in hilly/mountain areas.

this is why I went with the EB. I did not want any issues pulling my boat or when I get a travel trailer later.

Its the frontal area of the trailer. I pulled a 7,000 pound travel trailer with my Ecoboost F-150 with 3.73 rear end and it did pull it, but with a lot of downshifting and god awful fuel economy - 11.5 MPG if I remember correctly. It didn't feel like it lacked for power, and I stuck it in 6th gear lockout to stop the downshifting. I also pulled a 11,000+ pound flatbed with a tractor on it with the same truck, 14 MPG and it downshifted about half as much. Remember the F-150 Ecoboost puts out much more torque than the same engine in the smaller vehicles due to larger turbochargers on the half ton. The torque that Ford puts out on that half ton is just silly, you can actually see the body twist when it's really pumping out the power.

Yes, we know the manual says it can tow 5000lbs, but it doesn't mean that it will be a pleasant experience. It is the chassis and brakes that limits the rating and not the horsepower, otherwise the 3.5EB would have a higher tow rating. The 3.5EB would be a night and day difference in how it feels towing. The EB would have a much easier time getting up to speed, maintaining speed, and climbing hills. Especially if you tuned it and added another 50lbs plus of torque below 3500 rpm. A tune in an F150 would make it tow much nicer as well. I would want the bigger and heavier F150 for towing something that heavy anyway, but there are usually other factors for picking an SUV over a Pickup. There is also the 3.5EB Expedition which is set up like the F150 with the motor mounted the correct way instead of the transverse crap in the Explorer.

Peter hit most of it, and like the guy above me said. Manual never says anything about it being effortless or pleasant up hills.

It sounds like it's doing as advertised you just live in a mountainous area.

When I was above 5,000 feet in Colorado, the Toyota Camry I was in was doing 4,500 RPM just to accelerate normally as you would at an elevation of 300 feet.

I towed a 2002 Ford Taurus Wagon with a tow dolly on my Explorer and it did it effortlessly. I also had 7 people weighing 150 pounds at least in the car. My RPMs were a decent 2,000 3,000 on the highway depending on if I chose 6th gear with the manual select or not. I even have a video of it.

When I put my friend's Volkswagen Golf on a tow dolly, went up a very steep incline, I was doing 2,000 RPM keeping 25 mph.

What's your altitude?

Thanx to all for great input and questions. In summary:

- YES, I have the Tekonsha? 3 brake controller.
- YES, I have a $550 Weight Distribution Hitch with sway control.
- YES, I have tow package option.
- YES, I have tried paddle shifting; in fact more than a few times when towing.
- YES, I wanted the 3.5eco but I wanted the creature comforts more; ex: lane keeping was/is a must have for me. Ford did not offer these in the Sport and the platinums availability was totally unknown in Sept when I purchased.
- All trips were me and the woman with 1 medium size cooler in explorer. I checked my weights and we were > 400lbs above axle limits.
- I had reported in prior postings that the trailer pulling was just fine. I did not know at that time how little those hills truly were both in height and duration. Much has been learned since.
- I truly believe the frontal area of this trailer is horribly inefficient in terms of drag. It has so much surface area perpendicular to direction of travel and its corrugated along horizontal lines. Simply a terrible design and likely 70% cause of my frustration.
- In the fall, we plan to get a larger trailer and that made the decision to upgrade now that much easier.

To all the folks that suggested I "just get a 3.5 eco"; I will, but in an F150. I conclude that my needs are likely more than the Explorer was designed for. Its truly a shame as I really really like it and the creature comforts are just what I wanted. NOTE: The F150 will have SYNC-3; just sayin....

Back