Canuck motorsports lowering springs and mounty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Canuck motorsports lowering springs and mounty

JawzSS

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Mountaineer
Ok ok.. After all my posts about lifting I've decided to go the other direction with the street truck appeal. I spend roughly 3 hours in my truck a day, which is my reasoning behind this... Please don't flame me too much here guys lol

Anyway Im going to be putting some CLEAN 22s on this weekend and want a slight drop to clear up the wheel well gap. Found the Canuck motorsports springs on eBay for the v6/v8 ex but just wanted to male sure I'd be good to go with the mountaineer.

Tried to keep this convo in the "street trucks" forum but there's not enough action over there especially for 3rd gens lol

Also was wondering the figment regarding the eibach anti-roll sway bar kit. .. Will it fit? And it is worth it?

If anyone has any pics that would be awesome..

Thanks guys... And don't think I'm a trader lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok ok.. After all my posts about lifting I've decided to go the other direction with the street truck appeal. I spend roughly 3 hours in my truck a day, which is my reasoning behind this... Please don't flame me too much here guys lol

Anyway Im going to be putting some CLEAN 22s on this weekend and want a slight drop to clear up the wheel well gap. Found the Canuck motorsports springs on eBay for the v6/v8 ex but just wanted to male sure I'd be good to go with the mountaineer.

Tried to keep this convo in the "street trucks" forum but there's not enough action over there especially for 3rd gens lol

Also was wondering the figment regarding the eibach anti-roll sway bar kit. .. Will it fit? And it is worth it?

Nothing wrong with a lowered Explorer because for me, it's more practical than a lifted one. If I still lived where my parents live, I would have lifted mine;)

I know someone on here has those springs but most stick with Eibach or Ground Force. What does it say it will lower it to? There are a few Explorers in the begginning of the 3rd gen pic thread that are lowered to give you an idea.

As far as the sway bars, they'll only decrease body roll and possibly firm the ride up so I wouldn't say they are worth it unless you plan on tracking your Explorer. What condition are your shocks in? I'd change those before upgrading the sway bar.

For the v8 (different than the 6 cuz of weight I guess) it's a 1.75" drop front and 1.5" in rear.

Shocks are prob shot.. This thing is getting old! Lol

For the v8 (different than the 6 cuz of weight I guess) it's a 1.75" drop front and 1.5" in rear.

Shocks are prob shot.. This thing is getting old! Lol

If your shocks are shot and you lower it with 22's, you'll loose your teeth and maybe break some bones from the harsh ride...

My shocks are shot, I have stock ride hight on 20's and the ride is bearable, but it could be better. Saving up to rebuild the whinning rear end and get new shocks/lowering springs. I may actually cut the stock springs to lower it a tad because I don't want to slam it like most do. I'm shooting for a 1" front and 1.25" rear drop.

What shocks do u guys recommend bc I'll prob order them and do them while I do the springs..

I have a set of those springs that are modified to make the rear sit level. I want $100 plus shipping. They are 8 months old They are on the truck in the picture.

I also have a set of 20" Black and machined rims and Kuhmo tires shown in the picture they are 6 months old.
$1300

$(KGrHqYOKj!E5W9!lpC!BOiw0,rwL!~~60_58.jpg

I am selling a set of Belltech's. Only on an Explorer for a week. $150 plus shipping.

I am selling a set of Belltech's. Only on an Explorer for a week. $150 plus shipping.

What's the drop on the belltechs? R u 6 or 8 cylinders?

Also can u guys give me.some recommendations for new shocks?

They are 1.6" on all four corners. They work with 2WD or 4WD.

Go with KYB struts.

They are 1.6" on all four corners. They work with 2WD or 4WD.

Go with KYB struts.

cool yea thats what I was thinking..

regarding the springs i think the v8s drop a little more just cuz of weight.. ill let you know about the springs soon..

Sorry I am wrong. I have the Ground Force springs which do lower it 1.6" all around. I had Belltechs but I traded them for the GFs. To many problems with the Belltechs cause they drop it 2" in front and 2.5" in back. They make it hard to align the camber.

I bought duner's springs from a few posts up, I replaced all 4 struts and replaced my front ball joints at the same time. But it looks great now.
Before
430084_2855940911609_1052178702_32371816_2131709824_n.jpg

After
396516_2931056829460_1052178702_32394979_2021610298_n.jpg

I bought duner's springs from a few posts up, I replaced all 4 struts and replaced my front ball joints at the same time. But it looks great now.
Before
430084_2855940911609_1052178702_32371816_2131709824_n.jpg

After
396516_2931056829460_1052178702_32394979_2021610298_n.jpg

Nice! What struts did you go with? How does the ride feel?

After much price checking, I ended up going with the Ford "handling suspension" struts. Ford offers 3 OEM replacement struts, standard Explorer, Standard Mountaineer/aviator, and rough ride/handling Explorer. I discovered I had 2 bad struts while changing over the upper mounts. So the before and after is huge, but out of all the explorers I have driven, I drives GREAT. It is a firm confident ride, but not harsh. If feels great in corners now, wasnt too bad before, but 100 times better now. If someone is not into the firm sporty feel in a suspension, I would suggest not using these struts. I was looking at Monroe sensatrac struts for $65 each, the regular Ford struts $120 front $65 rear, Ford handling struts $65 front $85 rear. Don't ask why the price difference Front and rear, Ford is weird that way. I didn't look at any other struts, but have heard KYB makes a decent strut for Explorers. I had KYBs on my track car and they seemed pretty good for the money. I should mention I work at a Ford dealership and these are my employee prices, the Monroe's were from NAPA who we do a lot of business with.

Wow, wouldn't think the handling struts where going to be cheaper. are these for the 4wd or 2wd explorer?

Tim

Wow, wouldn't think the handling struts where going to be cheaper. are these for the 4wd or 2wd explorer?

Tim

Ford uses the same struts 2wd, 4wd and awd. The suspension is identical between all 3 except for the springs. Hell, even the 2wd has the 4wd front unitized bearing assemblies with the splines for the halfshaft.

Back