Cardone remanufactured Syncronizer. Good or no good? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cardone remanufactured Syncronizer. Good or no good?

atxjax

Reaction score
City, State
Pflugerville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mercury Mountaineer
I need to replace a syncronizer in a 97 mountaineer 5.0. I can get one at Advance Auto for $48 out the door with limited lifetime warranty. Are these units re-manufactured Ford pieces?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a Motorcraft one, it's an essential piece, failure will leave you instantly without an oil pump.

Get a Motorcraft one, it's an essential piece, failure will leave you instantly without an oil pump.

Im going to go look at one ay advanced auto. I know what Im looking for as far as the roll pin goes. If it seems flimsy I will just get the new Ford one.

I did go that route. When I compared the one that I extracted from my car with the Chinese-made one, I decided not to save money there.
This is how my old one was looking:

IMG_0446.png

Note the phosphate treatment.

About three years ago, I replaced mine with one from Napa. It was a re-manufacturer Ford unit. No problems since then.

I did go that route. When I compared the one that I extracted from my car with the Chinese-made one, I decided not to save money there.
This is how my old one was looking:

IMG_0446.png

Note the phosphate treatment.

Chinese made one as in a Dorman unit? Or was it a Cardone reman?

It was new, looking like this:

IMG_0423.png

About three years ago, I replaced mine with one from Napa. It was a re-manufacturer Ford unit. No problems since then.

Thanks. That's one more place to check.

Maybe someone here can chime in. What I want to do is before I take the old one out is to pull my #1 spark plug and set TDC by feeling for the compression coming out of the spark plug hole then lining up the crank with the timing mark.

I have yet to see a picture of what exactly the timing marks look like.

I found one....sorry

Fig_4B-500x419.jpg

I left my setup in place and put back the sensor in the same relative position - that's why I took a pic before, to see how was aligned.

Back