catalytic converter: Have I been cheated? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

catalytic converter: Have I been cheated?

bsteele

Reaction score
In July of 1999 I had my check engine light come on.
I took my Explorer to the Ford dealership where they said
I needed a new catalytic converter. They charged me.
$475 for the converter and $170 in labor ( 71.50 & 97.50 ).
I was mad but I paid it.

Now (11 months later) my new mechanic is telling me that
my overheating problems are caused by a restricted
exhaust. He said they pointed a temp gun at the exhaust
pipe before the catalytic converter and after it. It was
very hot before the gases hit the converter and much much
cooler after the converter. He said it should be hotter
after the converter.

Does anyone know how Ford warrenties their converters?
Is there something special about the converters put on
Explorers that came from California? The mechanic said
to looks like two converters in line? Could this be why
it was so expensive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Emission Controls are Under Warranty

Chad
It is my understanding that Federal Law required the emission controls to be under warranty for 5 years or 50,000 miles on early Ford Explorers (1991 - ?) whereas newer vehicles are to have the emission controls under warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles. In fact, this stuff about Federal law prohibiting replacing the catalytic converter until after 50,000 miles I think has more to do with this warranty law (i.e. car manufacturers do not want to have to pay for failed emission control equipment if it is caused by the vehicle owner trying to replace the stock converter with a high flow version). You did not mention what year Ford you have. By the way, $475 for a converter is a ripoff in my opinion - this might be the cost for converter + pipes + muffler, etc. And this stuff about temp before and after the "cat" sounds pretty bogus. It should only be a great deal hotter after the "cat" if the air/fuel ratio is too rich and there is a lot of gasoline vapors getting oxidized in the "cat". I have a demonstration "cat" from Ford and the two ceramic sections are about maybe 6 inches long - all inside one metal container. Maybe Ford has separated these two sections to be inside two containers for some structural reason. ???
Mike with 91 XLT 4x4 in Seattle

Originally posted by bsteele
In July of 1999 I had my check engine light come on.
I took my Explorer to the Ford dealership where they said
I needed a new catalytic converter. They charged me.
$475 for the converter and $170 in labor ( 71.50 & 97.50 ).
I was mad but I paid it.

Now (11 months later) my new mechanic is telling me that
my overheating problems are caused by a restricted
exhaust. He said they pointed a temp gun at the exhaust
pipe before the catalytic converter and after it. It was
very hot before the gases hit the converter and much much
cooler after the converter. He said it should be hotter
after the converter.

Does anyone know how Ford warrenties their converters?
Is there something special about the converters put on
Explorers that came from California? The mechanic said
to looks like two converters in line? Could this be why
it was so expensive?

Which Ford dealer did it? It probably doesn't matter since I live by Apache Junction. Anyway, get your Explorer up to them soon! Ford has a 12 month/12K mile warranty on repairs. I do not know if the catalytic converter is covered under the same warranty or if it has a different one. If you have less than 12K miles since they put it on, I would definately get up there and find out.

Robert

Ouch you got ripped on that one. You could of found a muffler shop to put a high flow cat, pipes and a flowmaster for that price. I think I acually paid less than that too. Sorry bud.

Nick

i have a '97 eddie bauer and the check engine light just came on. i ran the codes and found that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. i keep hearing about a 8 year 80k warranty on emmissions, or even a 10yr 100k warranty? how do i know if i have this? i just bought the car a few weeks ago and was about to go out and buy a new cat and replace it myself. any help would be great. i know this is an old thread though.
thanks

your 97 Explorer is some some 7+ years old. Ford warrenty is:

Under the Emissions Defect Warranty for passenger cars and light duty trucks (vehicles with a GVWR of 8,500 pounds or less), Ford Motor Company also provides coverage, including labor and diagnosis, for 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for these emissions parts: catalytic converter; compuvalve; electronic emissions control unit (PCM); onboard emissions diagnostic device; and vehicle communication link (VCL) module.

For complete information, see your Ford Dealer or download the full Warranty from the Ford internet web site.

Mike in Seattle
By the way, I have about 185,000 miles on my 1991 Explorer and it still has the original catalytic converter and oxygen sensor.

Back