Catalytic Converter Replacement for 2003 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Catalytic Converter Replacement for 2003

dianemdean

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Apparently, I need new catalytic converter for the price of $1000. The 02 censor has been replaced but the 4th bank is plugged?? Is it possible to order the part on my own and have a mechanically knowledgeable person replace this part for me, or is a modification to the exhaust system required? Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too have this problem! Definitly my cc. I took my truck to the local Midas shop (where i have work done that I cant do myself) and they quoted me $1000 for an OEM system or ~$200 for the universal system. However, they said in models later than 2000, the universal converter will cause the check engine light to remain on. Is this true? I have no idea what to do but I definitly know I dont want to shell out a grand!

(severe loss of power and a low grumbling sounds when accelerating quickly!)

Replace Catalytic Converter?

Thank you for passing on your info. on the CC replacement. I too get a
"grumbling" sound esp. when I start the engine - but it always sounds like it needs a new muffler. I had a muffler guy check it out and no parts were needed on the muffler system. I have been told that a bad cc does not cause this sound, but what else can it be? I've had two separate diagnostics and the O2 censor replaced and it has been determined the "4th bank" is plugged. What I've read is that it can run indefinitely if the other banks do not become plugged. If they do, car will not go! I've also read that in other models, the cc is an easy part to replace. Why is it a $1000 job on the Explorer? Is there welding or more extensive exhaust modification involved???

Catalytic Converter Replacement

Who told you $1000 for a catalytic converter?

A mechanic who did extensive engine work on my Explorer (and did a great job) but left me with one more code unresolved. I've read that other mechanics are quoting this price. Do you have any idea why, and can it be replaced more cheaply by ordering the part and having a person who is knowledgeable in the mechanics area replace this for me??

I got a universal fit for my daughter's Jeep for about $120 plus about $60 to have an exhaust shop weld it in.

Well I finally had it done. I had to replace the cats....and the $1000 quote was just an estimate! It ended up being $1600! It is from a reputiable shop, so I sure hope I wasnt taken.

Apparently, the guy told me 2002 was the year Ford "experimented" with the cat system. It was such a failure, they quickly went back to the original set up. Too bad for chumps like me with the 02 explorers that have to shell out that kind of cash if they want a vehicle to run like its supposed to.

Yes, I was quoted $1000 for my 2003 Explorer's catalytic converter replacement (which a service plan I purchased with the car will conveniently not cover). So, apparently they experimented with the 2003's as well. This is a horrible position to be in. I've had so many other problems with my Explorer I am going to be forced to trade it in. It seems like every week there is another headache. One week, a block of the engine to the power steering became loose and tilted, eating up my timing belt. I can't bear to see what will happen next. Good luck with your 2002!

Luckily, I have not had any "major" problems with my 02. Well, I guess I cant say that anymore. Nonetheless, my explorer has been pretty good to me. Problems didnt really start happening until 110K miles. However, I took prestine care of her! Every time I took her into the shop they were amazed how well she was taken care of considering the miles (I did a lot of traveling from CO to KC, so the majority of my miles were truly "highway" miles).

The only major repairs I had to do was replace the strut/shock assemblemies on the rear axel ($$$) and replace the cats ($$$). Other than that, little wear and tear things had to be replaced (hub assemblies, serpentine belt, ac recharge, blower motor...wipers (lol), etc.). Other than that...that is about it.

PS: if you have to replace your hub assemblies (and if you keep your ex, you definitly will), you can save about $400 dollars a wheel if you do it yourself! There are some great posts on this forum.

Ford Repairs

I'm amazed that you think these aren't "major" problems. For years, my dad was a Ford owner and experienced these same issues with his vehicles that he passed onto my brother and sister and I as teenagers Later, I owned a Honda Accord for years and never had any issues like this and it had high mileage. Now I'm back in the Ford repair ballgame. It shouldn't be like this.

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately like any vehicle, exhaust systems can fail and need to be replaced from time to time. Peoples expectations that vehicles will not fail sometimes can be slightly be overly amphibious. I've seen Toyota's catalytic converters fail and then get quoted $3000 from the dealership.

My suggestion with people giving out quotes for work is to shop around. $1000 is extremely high for something like that.

I have them 2 cats coming from the engine pipe one in each side at 69 dolllars each plus instalation... Can i go with these or definitelly need the california emission ready ones... I live in Texas by the way... Thanks.

Back